advice on foreign med. schools Caribean?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by snowboard8, Oct 8, 2001.

1. snowboard8

snowboard8 Junior Member

Hi,
    I am thinking about applying to some foreign medical schools, do you know any information or have any advice on some good schools in which it will be easy to come back to the US to practice, thinking about general surgery. Or if you know any residents or doctors that went to foreign schools please let me know what school they went to and what field they are in. I am currently in TX and a US citizen. Thanks for your time>

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Atlas

Atlas Senior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    It is not necessary to post the same question in every forum. Anyways, I'd sincerely like to mention that staying in the US at all costs should be your number one priority. If I were you, I'd try until my hair wears thin, but some of us don't have the desire or resources to engage in a long admissions battle. If, say after 3 or 4 attempts to get into US schools, THEN I'd consider going abroad. If you want to apply to foreign schools because you think they're easy to get into, that's not always the case. They DO reject people. So, if you're worried about sub-par grades, do something about it. Enroll in a MS or Post-Bac or something! But, if you still insist on going to the caribbean, I can tell you there are a handful of schools worth considering and only one really worth attending. St. George's Grenada (WI) is by far the most respect and recognized. They are the "Harvard of the Caribbean". If you cannot get into a US school, this could be an option of yours. Another option you have is not located in the caribbean at all. Look into Irish schools like Royal College of Surgeon, etc. They are world-renowned with long histories of success and accept American students quite frequently. Australia also has good schools, but only a few, 1 maybe 2 schools, accept US students. If you are adamant about going to the caribbean, but SGU doesn't accept you, there are others like ROSS, SABA and AUC. All have turned out good docs in the past. I know this because I have friends that graduated from these schools. All of these schools have their pros and cons of course. I suggest that you contact them and ask specific questions and get the facts from the sources. Don't rely on some stranger on a message board to fill you in. There are other schools in the caribbean, but I'd steer clear of any others schools than the big 3 or 4. I'm not saying that other schools can't turn out competent docs. I'm saying you might not make it home to eventually practice. That, in itself, is a complicated, messy issue. SGU's averages are around 3.4 overall and science with MCATs in 8-9 range. Those are pretty respectable stats and they accept 1 in 8 applicants. Ross and AUC have GPAs around 3.1. Ross now requires the MCAT whereas AUC doesn't. SABA has a gpa around 3.0. Again, no MCAT required. Should you choose to go outside the US for medical school, go at your own risk.

I hope this helps

4. tidy_kiwi

tidy_kiwi Senior Member

I am pretty sure that all four graduate entry medical schools in Oz take international students (20-30 per year)....I am not sure about the 6-yr programs tho.

5. Atlas

Atlas Senior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    You may be right. I don't know much about Aussie schools. I'm a self-proclaimed "Caribbean expert". Naw...not really, but I like to tell myself that! :) lol