Advice on getting into Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NOVA1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone. I need some advice. I posted this sometime ago but I don’t not really get any answers. I am a nontraditional student hoping to get accepted to Medical School. I am active duty military but plan to get out when my contract ends in about 3 years. I have about 50 college credits from multiple schools due to me moving around a lot. I am attending ASU online right now and majoring in Biological Sciences. I can not decide if I should finish my Biology Degree with ASU or wait until I get out of the military and go to school in person. I am worried that if I finish my degree at ASU that I will not get accepted to Medical School because it is an online degree. If I do finish my degree online, when I separate from the military I can just to a post bac program for 1-2 years for those schools that do not accept online prerequisites. If I wait to finish school until I am out of the military then I will have to wait longer to apply but most of my prerequisites will be in person.

Also since I have attended four schools in total and if I go back home to complete a degree in person then that will be a total of five schools. I was told that this would not matter as long as I have a good gpa. Has anyone come across someone that attended a lot of schools during undergrad and got accepted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

1) Most medical schools will not accept online credits for prereqs. taking an online bio degree then repeating the courses in a postbacc seems an awkward presentation on a application (ie some courses you will take twice)
2) Many applicants go to multiple schools; it is not an issue
3) A nontraditional veteran is an excellent background to apply from
4) thank your for your service

Thank you. I appreciate the advice.

I transferred universities and also completed a study abroad program through an institution other than my home university. I'm not sure if you consider three schools to be a lot, but I'm doing just fine this cycle :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I transferred universities and also completed a study abroad program through an institution other than my home university. I'm not sure if you consider three schools to be a lot, but I'm doing just fine this cycle :)

That sounds awesome! Thank you.

I dropped out of one school, worked for over a decade, then finished by taking classes at a community college and university (simultaneously) while working full time. It's not an issue.

I dropped out of one school, worked for over a decade, then finished by taking classes at a community college and university (simultaneously) while working full time. It's not an issue.

That is good to hear. I have decided to wait until I separate from the military to finish up my degree. I was worried that me having a gap in school would look bad. Hopefully they understand.

Finish your degree (it's free!), then do a DIY post bacc at the most prestigious program within 25 miles of wherever you end up living. repeat any pre-reqs that were taken online, and take some upper levels to prove you can succeed in the established brick/mortar environment. Do as well as you're capable of on the MCAT (read: don't rush it). Get Lots of advice and reviews of your entire application before you submit it. Anything on your app longer than a sentence should be reviewed by as many people as possible.

Finish your degree (it's free!), then do a DIY post bacc at the most prestigious program within 25 miles of wherever you end up living. repeat any pre-reqs that were taken online, and take some upper levels to prove you can succeed in the established brick/mortar environment. Do as well as you're capable of on the MCAT (read: don't rush it). Get Lots of advice and reviews of your entire application before you submit it. Anything on your app longer than a sentence should be reviewed by as many people as possible.

That’s also a good idea. My current school has a community health major I could complete online. If I do that I will not have to repeat classes and just do a post bac like you mentioned. I am hoping to get into EVMS since that’s my home town. They are suppose to have a good post bac program.

That’s also a good idea. My current school has a community health major I could complete online. If I do that I will not have to repeat classes and just do a post bac like you mentioned. I am hoping to get into EVMS since that’s my home town. They are suppose to have a good post bac program.

I think EVMS actually has a military “quota”? I remember when I interviewed there, they constantly stressed their relationship with the nearby military base. I could be totally dreaming though.

I think EVMS actually has a military “quota”? I remember when I interviewed there, they constantly stressed their relationship with the nearby military base. I could be totally dreaming though.

Do you mind me asking what your stats were?

Do you mind me asking what your stats were?

I can PM you—don’t want to derail the thread.

Reactions: 1 users