Advice on Good University/College based OMFS program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

t-man

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am a Canadian dental student, just want to hear some advices on a good college / university based on OMFS, I understand there are quite a bit of hospital based program in the US. Also, how are my stats stack up as an applicant.

Class Rank: 1 of 54 (overall of 1st 3 years)
Part I: 95
Research: 1 accepted, 2 pending publication
Extra: Board member, numerous committee

Downside no GPR, AGED or externship (as i am only going into my final year)

Thanks for your input

Members don't see this ad.

t-man said:
Hi

I am a Canadian dental student, just want to hear some advice on a good college / university based on OMFS, I understand there are quite a bit of hospital based program in the US. Also, how is my stats stack up as an applicant.

Class Rank: 1 of 54 (overall of 1st 3 years)
Part I: 95
Research: 1 accepted, 2 pending publication
Extra: Board member, numerous committee

Downside no GPR, AGED or externship (as i am only going into my final year)

Thanks for your input

Do an externship. AEGD or GPR aren't that critical for OMFS, but an externship is. I am training two interns who never did an externship but one did a GPR and the other an AEGD and I'd much rather have a fresh dental student that had done two months of externships....

esclavo said:
Do an externship. AEGD or GPR aren't that critical for OMFS, but an externship is. I am training two interns who never did an externship but one did a GPR and the other an AEGD and I'd much rather have a fresh dental student that had done two months of externships....

Thanks for your input.. i was planning to do an externship around nov/dec.... Anyways, some good programs that you know of?

Members don't see this ad :)
i'd say that a good majority of oms programs are hospital based.

t-man said:
Thanks for your input.. i was planning to do an externship around nov/dec.... Anyways, some good programs that you know of?
Here's a list of traditionally strong programs:

Alabama, Louisville, LSU-Shreveport, LSU-New Orleans, Parkland, OHSU, Jacksonville, San Antonio, Houston, Kentucky...

There are more, but these are my top ten programs that I believe to have excellent reputations. All are different and will offer different plusses and minuses. Others will offer some more programs, so keep an ear open...

t-man said:
Hi

Also, how is my stats stack up as an applicant.

Thanks for your input
Your stats are good but your grammer sucks!

Ouch I am getting owned... Thank you for all the inputs. Good luck to everyone who is applying ;)

Where are you going to dental school? 54 students in your class? BC, is it?