Advice on How to Approach Passages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

as8906

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster here. I've been using TBR and EK to study for the MCAT and I need some advice on how to approach reading passages. What I do is, I read through the passage once and then do the questions, and I only look back to the passage to refresh my memory or to make sure my answer is legitimate. This is working fine for genchem, ochem, and physics, but I find myself pressed for time on the bio passages, specifically for the berkeley bio passages. Is this just because their stuff is supposed to be ridiculously hard, or should I look into changing my approach? If so, what works for you guys?

Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster here. I've been using TBR and EK to study for the MCAT and I need some advice on how to approach reading passages. What I do is, I read through the passage once and then do the questions, and I only look back to the passage to refresh my memory or to make sure my answer is legitimate. This is working fine for genchem, ochem, and physics, but I find myself pressed for time on the bio passages, specifically for the berkeley bio passages. Is this just because their stuff is supposed to be ridiculously hard, or should I look into changing my approach? If so, what works for you guys?

Any help would be appreciated.

what i do is just go straight to the questions, read the first question and start reading the passage till i find it, then read next question then continue reading passage til i answer it, etc. this is less time consuming and more effective. i'm also not the only one who thinks so :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Read them carefully, then answer the questions. Anytime you don't know the answer, immediately look for where it is mentioned in the passage. VR is a big part of PS and BS.

For TBR I've only done a few of the passage blocks at the end of each section so far. For genchem, orgo, and physics, my scores are usually in the 13-15 range according to their scale, sometimes in the 10-12 range, closer to 12 though. These numbers may be skewed though, cause I haven't done passages from the second books yet, and I've read about how much harder those are. And for EK it's been anywhere from 11-13 on those 30-minute in class exams. I got 2 9s in the genchem book on my two most hated chapters but that's as low as it's been so far.