Advice on how to deal with this situation in a research lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AspiringDoc422

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve been part of this research lab at a medical school for around a year and I enjoy the work involved, however, there seem to be some issues with one of the other lab members. I am pretty much the only undergraduate student in the lab at the moment, and I have been assigned to work with a graduate student. The graduate student usually contacts me whenever experiments are being conducted so that I can come help and learn. The problem is that at times it can take weeks for him to contact me about the lab work. It’s a small research lab focused on a specific rare disease, so I understand that they don’t perform experiments all the time. Whenever I work with the other lab members, it’s always friendly and professional. However I don’t want the PI to think that I don’t care about his lab, he has asked me before why I don’t come to the lab that often. How should I approach this situation so that the PI knows how much the research means to me without offending the grad student? (because I hope to continue working with him.) Or is this sort of schedule typical for a med school research lab? Thanks for any advice

Members don't see this ad.

You could just ask the grad student if you could come in more often and help out. Something like "I have a lot of free time on my hand right now, and I'd like to be more involved with your project because it's really interesting. Can I come in a few times a week and help out?" It could be that they don't really have much to do, but you won't know until you ask.

^ Thats a good idea. One thing I've noticed, however, is that its not uncommon for grad students to see an undergrad as an extra responsibility that they don't have time for. I've had a grad student in my lab tell me its too much effort to explain genetics to her undergrad because they haven't taken coursework outside of general bio yet.

If you're not too invested you could explore other research options, or ask the PI about switching to a different project (with a different grad student in the lab)

Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve been part of this research lab at a medical school for around a year and I enjoy the work involved, however, there seem to be some issues with one of the other lab members. I am pretty much the only undergraduate student in the lab at the moment, and I have been assigned to work with a graduate student. The graduate student usually contacts me whenever experiments are being conducted so that I can come help and learn. The problem is that at times it can take weeks for him to contact me about the lab work. It’s a small research lab focused on a specific rare disease, so I understand that they don’t perform experiments all the time. Whenever I work with the other lab members, it’s always friendly and professional. However I don’t want the PI to think that I don’t care about his lab, he has asked me before why I don’t come to the lab that often. How should I approach this situation so that the PI knows how much the research means to me without offending the grad student? (because I hope to continue working with him.) Or is this sort of schedule typical for a med school research lab? Thanks for any advice
F the grad student; he's behaving unprofessionally.

You need to discuss this with the PI right away.

And be more assertive in the future.

Thank you all for the replies, I am actually quite invested in this lab already, I was hoping for it to be one of my best achievements for my future med school application. I was quite fortunate because the PI personally invited me to be part of his lab at a highly regarded medical school, he even stated that in the future he could allow me to work on my own project and publish, So I certainly hope to remain part of the lab. As to the other aspects, I have actually contacted this grad student a number of times and he responded back maybe half the time. The thing is that I have worked with other grad students in the past that make their disdain for undergrads clear, but in this lab I actually noticed that when I do work with this grad student we get along fine and he has no problems explaining things to me. And I can’t just go work with another grad student because he’s actually the only grad student in the lab at the moment, the other is graduating soon. I will probably have to contact the PI about it because I’m very concerned that he will think that I’m not dedicated enough to the lab. But I’m not sure how to explain this delicate situation with the grad student to the PI. The PI has told the grad student in person to spend more time in the lab in the past, but I’m quite aware that as a undergraduate in a Med school lab, I’m not exactly indispensable. Further advice would be appreciated

If you feel ready ready, you can ask for your own (mini) project, I basically had my own project and my grad student oversaw it as it pertained to his project as well. This will give you responsibility and lab time, while also obligating the grad student to take more interest you and your work.

For example, I was tasked with making fluorescent reported strains (microbiology) that my grad student used to for his project which got me on his paper. He taught me everything and supervised me, but he was able to still focus on his work. You can ask the PI if there is something along those lines that both of you think you can handle. When you talk to the PI be confident and show that you're competent and ready. The project might be as simple as running one of the easier experiments you've been taught over and over to get more trials for a publication in the works.

Thank you all for the replies, I am actually quite invested in this lab already, I was hoping for it to be one of my best achievements for my future med school application. I was quite fortunate because the PI personally invited me to be part of his lab at a highly regarded medical school, he even stated that in the future he could allow me to work on my own project and publish, So I certainly hope to remain part of the lab. As to the other aspects, I have actually contacted this grad student a number of times and he responded back maybe half the time. The thing is that I have worked with other grad students in the past that make their disdain for undergrads clear, but in this lab I actually noticed that when I do work with this grad student we get along fine and he has no problems explaining things to me. And I can’t just go work with another grad student because he’s actually the only grad student in the lab at the moment, the other is graduating soon. I will probably have to contact the PI about it because I’m very concerned that he will think that I’m not dedicated enough to the lab. But I’m not sure how to explain this delicate situation with the grad student to the PI. The PI has told the grad student in person to spend more time in the lab in the past, but I’m quite aware that as a undergraduate in a Med school lab, I’m not exactly indispensable. Further advice would be appreciated
I’m not seeing where the issue is — so the grad student is not contacting you when there is “lab work” and you feel like he is purposefully excluding you? Or are you just not proactive enough in seeking ways to get involved?

This is your education and your research experience; don’t wait till your mentor contact you to do something. If you have grips about your mentor talk to them directly instead of random strangers on the internet.

As I stated in a previous post, I have contacted the grad student in question multiple times, sometimes he responds and apologizes for being somewhat inconsistent, other times he doesn't respond at all. I have also offered to do other types of work in the lab such as preparing and organizing equipment in order to be more involved. I have posted on this forum to see if this could be normal behavior in a research lab on the part of the grad student and for ways to discuss this situation with the PI without making it seem as if I'm complaining about the grad student, which I hope to continue working with in the future.

As I stated in a previous post, I have contacted the grad student in question multiple times, sometimes he responds and apologizes for being somewhat inconsistent, other times he doesn't respond at all. I have also offered to do other types of work in the lab such as preparing and organizing equipment in order to be more involved. I have posted on this forum to see if this could be normal behavior in a research lab on the part of the grad student and for ways to discuss this situation with the PI without making it seem as if I'm complaining about the grad student, which I hope to continue working with in the future.
It is completely normal on his part; grad students have a lot on their plates and are by no means obligated to give you attention; sounds like he’s a nice person, just a sloppy communicator. Read the lab’s papers, see what interests you, talk to the PI about your interests and how to get intellectually involved. You don’t need to mention the grad student at all.