Advice on how to get a pharmacy tech job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rjm546

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I've been applying to numerous stores trying to get hired as a pharmacy tech but it seems that nobody is hiring. I'm in Florida where you dont need a Pharm tech license. So does anybody have any advice on what I should do?

Members don't see this ad.

if you can't get a tech job without a license, why don't you get a license? Study for and take the PTCB exam. That's the easiest and quickest way to get a license. Volunteer at an independent pharmacy. If you have a tech license with pharmacy experience, you have an advantage over others. goodl luck.

You don't need a tech license to become a tech.

At CVS you start off as a PSA, which is really a tech. Then in 6 months, you are CVS certified, then if you wanna take the PTCB, call your district trainer and he/she will give you the information needed to get the company to pay for your test.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're having that much trouble, you should apply for a job a chain drug store or a target or walgreens with a pharmacy. Put on the application that you're are very interested in pharmacy. Sometimes the pharmacy doesn't have enough hours to give and they can't hire for pharmacy. But, what they do is use clerks from within the store to help out in the pharmacy. Once you proved yourself to be a good worker then you can move your way into a pharmacy position once it's available. That's how it's worked every pharmacy I've been in. We don't hire people that come to the pharmacy, we pull people from the store, test them, and keep the ones we like. :D

let me tell you something... I have never in my life gotten a job I haven't followed up on... but usually get the jobs I want... One time I wanted to get a job at a certain restaurant... I filled out an app but never heard back... I decided to harass the manager so I called him... He called me into an interview and I got hired on the spot... They had no idea who I was or where my application was or that I even filled one out... You need to harass these people... I applied for a pharm tech at cub foods and I got nothing from them.... Finally I called the pharm manager at the cub a half mile from my house and she said she didn't know how to pull my app from the Internet but would love to have a dedicated pharmacy student to talk pharmacy with... It didn't hurt that I had a competitor interested in me too... An application is a stupid technicality... If you want a job don't even bother filling out an app its a waste of time... Call the person who does the hiring... Then you will have to fill out an app... Its a formality of the hiring process... not the other way around... good luck!