Mar 21, 2014
I have been unsuccessful in getting accepted to a dental school for 3 cycles now. I am planning to rewrite the DAT this december as the previous one i took was in 2014. My stats are gpa: 3.32, previous DAT: 23, and have around 175h of dental shadowing from 2 general dentists, that I have accumulated over the last 3 years. I think my weaknesses are, other than my low gpa, lack of extra curricular activities and weak LORs. During my first cycle I interviewed at NYU and during my last cycle I interviewed at USC. Will achieving a higher DAT score really help my chances? I also plan to attend a volunteer program this winter at Seoul National Dental University that helps the disabled in SE Asian country.

caffeine jitters

2+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2017
Status
Pre-Dental
No, you have a 23. There is absolutely no need to take the DAT again. If you think your weaknesses are your extracurriculars, work on improving those - not the DAT. Similarly, it may help to enroll in some courses to raise your GPA.

Reactions: Michael_Scott

sobertiger

7+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2010
Status
Dental Student
You didn't apply this cycle? If you did, why are you assuming you won't get in this time?

Also, are you an international student?

Last edited:
About the Ads
May 17, 2008
Status
Dental Student
No, you have a 23. There is absolutely no need to take the DAT again. If you think your weaknesses are your extracurriculars, work on improving those - not the DAT. Similarly, it may help to enroll in some courses to raise your GPA.
I agree the score is more than sufficient, the issue is that scores are older than the minimum age most dental schools are willing to accept at this point, and even fewer will accept the scores next year.

Refer to the "Oldest" column on the attachment in this post: 2017 DAT Deadlines/Age of DAT/Multiple Scores/Canadian/Consideration Without DAT Scores

Reactions: caffeine jitters

jttzz112

2+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2017
Status
Pre-Dental
Your academic stats are basically identical to mine. Are you not applying to a lot of schools? I feel like you should get quite a few interviews with that DAT and decent GPA.

Michael_Scott

Best Boss
2+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2016
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I suggest either taking upper level science courses at a University or enrolling in a masters program, getting good LORS from those profs (talk to them before semester starts about it) and then re-apply. Your DAT score is great but may be getting old. Call schools you want to apply to and ask them!
Apply broadly!

Jul 7, 2017
Status
Pre-Dental
Are you an international? You may want to check for schools that are international friendly, as it is harder for non-citizens to gain acceptance from some schools. If not then idk your stats seem better than mine. Perhaps you could practice your interviewing skills.

sobertiger

7+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2010
Status
Dental Student
Thanks for the replies. I'm a Canadian applicant
If you were an American applicant you would have had a pretty good shot with that GPA/DAT, but as it stands the problem seems to be the GPA, since your DAT was already quite high.

S

Spliced

Great DAT score, no need for retake. GPA is low but the DAT compensates for it. Work on your ECs and prepare for interviews much better than before. I'm canadian too and got multiple interviews.

DocDoom

2+ Year Member
May 24, 2015
Status
Dental Student
most dental schools won't accept DAT scores >2 years old, definitely retake and apply broadly. Also, apply broadly and possibly consider an SMP.

About the Ads