Saradoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Any advice on how to increase your chances of matching in your top 3 programs? I know we can send a letter saying we are ranking them #1/very highly, but anything else i can do? Anything to make sure i do at the interview? Opinions on 2nd looks?
Thanks!

atsai3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 15, 2002
Boston
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Any advice on how to increase your chances of matching in your top 3 programs? I know we can send a letter saying we are ranking them #1/very highly, but anything else i can do? Anything to make sure i do at the interview? Opinions on 2nd looks?
Thanks!
This study suggests some potential strategies:

1. Get a high score on USMLE Step 1
2. Get as many honors as you can on your core clerkships
3. Submit a realistic rank list that is appropriate for someone of your degree of competitiveness

-AT.

LifetimeDoc

EM Attending
10+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
USA
Status
Attending Physician

3. Submit a realistic rank list that is appropriate for someone of your degree of competitiveness

-AT.
Of course suggestions 1 and 2 require you to travel backwards in time.

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician

-AT.
And at this point, it's only #3 that you can actually do anything about.

OP
S

Saradoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2006
Status
Medical Student
thanks guys. I guess what i'm asking is how can i try and leave the best impression/be memorable to the top 3 programs on my list, which are basically my "reaches" ?

McGillGrad

Building Mind and Body
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2002
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
thanks guys. I guess what i'm asking is how can i try and leave the best impression/be memorable to the top 3 programs on my list, which are basically my "reaches" ?

I plan on standing out during the interview by being myself and going out of my way to be genuinely nice to everyone from the janitor to the PD.

Brunette1981

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2007
East Coast
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You absolutely should NOT make your rank list "realistically" as long as you are ranking everywhere you would rather go than not match.

If you rank
1) Dream school 2) Dream #2 3) Dream #4..... X) Realistic good match

And none of your dream pograms want you, you haven't harmed yourself - you will still end up at X.

If you just rank 1) X and leave off the dream programs, you may get your number 1 (ego boost) but you will also lose the opportunity to have gotten one of the dream schools.

So just rank where you want to go. The only fudge factor on that is if your school calls your #1 but I still think it's better to make the list how you actually prefer. Just don't leave a lot of Xs off at the lower ranks because you are overconfident or over picky if there are any concerns about your application.