Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi gang,

First post, long time lurker. Also a lurker of the PagingDr forums that seem to be more Australian-focused, however this is a potentially global question, so I thought it best to ask here.

I started Uni wanting to study Optometry - specifically the OD through Melbourne Uni's new postgrad. Took a Science degree over a Biomed degree because they let me take some pre-Optometry subjects in First Year and opened my course of Majoring up more than Biomed did.

Long story short - went Part Time Semester 2 last year, worked at an Optom as a dispenser, and didn't really enjoy it at all. Far too commercial and sales-orientated for my liking. So that rules out the OD.

I am studying a Neuroscience major, Anatomy minor anyway so it was all good, no real harm done. Now I'm Part Time again this year to make some cash then back to Full Time to graduate next year. So I've made a 3 year degree into a 4 year degree.

Averaging H2A (don't know the GPA equates to, but it's a 75%-80% average) and really really enjoying my Neuro major. More than I ever thought I would. So now a very big part of me wants to continue on and do Hons in Neuro through Melbourne. I can achieve that, I think it's realistic. However, Melbourne also offer a MSc by research that I am also considering very strongly.

Additionally, I really enjoy Anatomy and more specifically Surgery. At work I do a bit of animal dissection and I was really enthralled in the Anatomy practicals last year, and plan on taking more anatomy subjects next year.

So ultimately I would like to either become a Neurologist or Surgeon of some description. My question is though, how to proceed from here?

A) Do I continue through the BSc (Neuro), take an Honours position, sit the GAMSAT and then apply for the MD through Melbourne - and hope to make up my mind through the clinical rotations?

B) Or do I take a MSc in Neuro, sit the GAMSAT, and apply for MD through Melbourne?

C) OR do I apply overseas, to the UK and apply for graduate medicine after either Honours/MSc and do MD that way? I don't believe Surgical and Medical schools are separated in the UK, but if they are and there are reputable schools that offer a graduate intake into Surgery then I would be open to look into that. I should mention I hold Dual Citizenship so am eligible as a domestic student, but have never lived in the UK.

I should add now that I plan on taking a few PostGrad Diplomas in Bioethics during either the Honours or MSc, as they only run for two weeks and would further my knowledge, and add to a field I have a interest in.

Obviously I'm not looking for the speediest way to get through Uni, rather the best way. I don't mind being a poor student for another ten years if it gets me where I ultimately want to be. So is the MSc worth the additional time over the Honours, and does this translate to preferential treatment from the graduate schools? Is it possible to study Surgery without doing Medicine? If not, is the MSc sufficient grounding to secure a Neurology placement?

Sorry for such a long and convoluted first post, but I love to have plans and direction and right now I'm wallowing because I can't see a structured future and honestly, it's scaring me!

Cheers,

Alex

robflanker

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Uh this is US orientated; not sure if anyone is going to be able to help

bannie22

Hero
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2009
sry. lurking fail.

routes to mbbs (commonwealth countries. ie uk aus jp sg hk...) entirely diff to md

Dec 23, 2009
Australia or NYC or CT
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi gang,
So ultimately I would like to either become a Neurologist or Surgeon of some description. My question is though, how to proceed from here?

A) Do I continue through the BSc (Neuro), take an Honours position, sit the GAMSAT and then apply for the MD through Melbourne - and hope to make up my mind through the clinical rotations?

B) Or do I take a MSc in Neuro, sit the GAMSAT, and apply for MD through Melbourne?

C) OR do I apply overseas, to the UK and apply for graduate medicine after either Honours/MSc and do MD that way? I don't believe Surgical and Medical schools are separated in the UK, but if they are and there are reputable schools that offer a graduate intake into Surgery then I would be open to look into that. I should mention I hold Dual Citizenship so am eligible as a domestic student, but have never lived in the UK.
Hi,
so, i know some things about Australia as I'm studying in Perth right now.

First, country: it really is your preference, but it is more traditional in England to go straight to medical school after secondary school, so it may make more sense for you to go to Australian Medical School at this point.

As for the Bsc or Msc, I think the honors diploma in Neuro would be fine, proceeding with the GAMSAT and then seeing if you get the marks for it. At this point, I don't think you need to do the MSc, and I think Honors should be enough if you have good marks, otherwise, maybe the MSc would help boost your app. Also, don't forget to check the reqs. of the medical school you want to go to, as some recommend different things.

Good luck man