advice on living situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

detm78

Hi, I wanted to get some opinions.

i found a condo right across the street from evms, 2 BR/1 bath, with kitchen appliances, carpet, parking spot, washer and dryer in the unit, porch, utilities paid except phone and electricity, for $700/month. I'd probably have to find a roomate.

Or, i could live with a 2nd year who is presently 4th on the waitlist for the university apartments across the street from evms. I think it's likely she'll get the university apartments, which are nice. i think it includes all utilities, is 2 BR/1 bath, a laundry room with coin-operated W/Ds; I'd probably pay for phone, and it's $670-700 for the whole thing.

I think the University apts. would be nice b/c other students would be nearby, but it's not like the condo would be too far away either. I'm a little worried about choosing this 2nd route b/c it's not for certain that the M2 I talked to will get a spot in the university apartment, and she likes to play music all the time, even when she studies, which might eventually bother me. However, she seems very nice and like someone I could get along with.

So, I guess my ultimate question is, should I get the condo and find another roomate, like an M1? Or should I be roomates with an M2 hopefully at the university apartments?

Is it best for medstudents to live with people in their own year? Or not to? Does it even matter?

Hope to hear what some of you think...

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I say live with the MS2 and borrow his/her books.

It might be better to live with someone on your own schedule. Things might get a little tense when you have to study for an exam while she's just finished taking one. Most of the people with roommates in different years say that this is one of the biggest problems they didn't consider before moving in together.

I think it depends on how hard it is to find housing, if everything falls through...I don't recommend living with an M1, when you are on the same schedule it can get very tense in the apartment particularly around exam time....true colors always come through. Also the M2 maybe able to give some great advice...however, if housing is very hard to find in the area you don't want to spend the first couple of weeks when you are suppose to be getting to know your future classmates struggling to find a place.