League54

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2006
Warrenville IL
Status
Medical Student
Two questions:
Anyone have any advice on which review class is better, Kaplan or Princeton Review?
Also:
Does anyone know how to get the promo codes to punch in so that you can get a discount on these classes? They're pretty darn expensive! :eek:

I would appreciate the help!

ADeadLois

10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2005
Status
Medical Student
League54 said:
Two questions:
Anyone have any advice on which review class is better, Kaplan or Princeton Review?
Also:
Does anyone know how to get the promo codes to punch in so that you can get a discount on these classes? They're pretty darn expensive! :eek:

I would appreciate the help!
See the sticky links. There are extensive reviews on the prep classes.

About the Ads

geno2568

10+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Status
Pre-Medical
my advice.....dont take any review courses. I didn't. I'm happy with my score.

OP
League54

League54

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2006
Warrenville IL
Status
Medical Student
geno2568 said:
my advice.....dont take any review courses. I didn't. I'm happy with my score.
Yea but the only thing is that I'm trying to jam in a lot of classes before the May 11 MCAT, so I feel like I should take one. I wont have a lot of spare time to study next spring. I'll be taking Orgo 2, Physics 2, Biochem and Genetics.

doyourealize1

10+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2006
Status
I'm taking TPR and my advice is...don't take a course. The value of your lectures is basically luck-of-the-draw based on the teachers you get, and the one day/week on "secret Verbal tactics" is pretty much worthless.

The best thing to do is do is accumulate your own material and study on your own. This includes buying used TPR books, etc. EK has a good reputation, so you can buy that set if you'd like.

Most importantly, find all the practice tests you can get. I have all of the Kaplan, TPR, EK, and AAMC tests. AAMC tests are very much unlike Kaplan and TPR tests as Kaplan and TPR tend to be too specific...EK and AAMC are much more vague in the questions they ask.

To supplement you should also look for websites that will enforce the concepts. There are tons of quality websites on bio, ochem, gchem, and physics online.

metastasis

10+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2006
Status
I agree. Don't take a prep course.

If you really want lectures either get AO, or get VisuAid or MCAT-prep. To master the MCAT You need to do more than just attend lectures. You need to do a plathero of practice.

Also if you decide not to take a prep course this is what I would suggest you buy:
- Princeton Review Course Books- $100-150 (Only if you have your entire summer free and could do a lot of practice from those books)
- EK full edith 6th or 7th (will probably come out next year)- $100 -125
- Mcat Prep, or VisualAid, or EK AO, or EK DVD (don't buy brand new one, get used ones for cheap, and there are plenty of people selling them)

- Make sure you have all AAMCs
- If you are weak in an area make sure to buy EK 1001, and if weak in verbal buy EK 101 and buy it early
- Other practice material (kaplan, etc.)

OP
League54

League54

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2006
Warrenville IL
Status
Medical Student
metastasis said:
I agree. Don't take a prep course.

If you really want lectures either get AO, or get VisuAid or MCAT-prep. To master the MCAT You need to do more than just attend lectures. You need to do a plathero of practice.

Also if you decide not to take a prep course this is what I would suggest you buy:
- Princeton Review Course Books- $100-150 (Only if you have your entire summer free and could do a lot of practice from those books)
- EK full edith 6th or 7th (will probably come out next year)- $100 -125
- Mcat Prep, or VisualAid, or EK AO, or EK DVD (don't buy brand new one, get used ones for cheap, and there are plenty of people selling them)

- Make sure you have all AAMCs
- If you are weak in an area make sure to buy EK 1001, and if weak in verbal buy EK 101 and buy it early
- Other practice material (kaplan, etc.)
Ok, thanks for the help, it's much appreciated!!!!! :)

estairella

10+ Year Member
May 7, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
League54 said:
Yea but the only thing is that I'm trying to jam in a lot of classes before the May 11 MCAT, so I feel like I should take one. I wont have a lot of spare time to study next spring. I'll be taking Orgo 2, Physics 2, Biochem and Genetics.
Take a diagnostic (AAMC 5, 6 or 7) a few months before you start studying to see where you're standing.

It doesn't matter whether you take a prep course or not; if you don't have the time to study, you won't improve as much as you potentially could, so you want to make sure studying for the MCAT while doing all those courses is going to get you a score you're happy with.

Having said that, if you're the type that's really drained after a full courseload, you might need a course to keep you on track. If you're still really energetic evenings and during breaks, then study by yourself, because the course is really just to keep you on schedule.

R.P. McMurphy

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
If you are dedicated and have time to crack down on a study plan - don't take a prep course

If you are busy and feel that you will continue to put off studying - take a prep course

OP
League54

League54

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2006
Warrenville IL
Status
Medical Student
ironmanf14 said:
If you are dedicated and have time to crack down on a study plan - don't take a prep course

If you are busy and feel that you will continue to put off studying - take a prep course
Yea, when I'm taking a full load, I dont feel that I set enough spare time for other things (like studying for the MCAT) which is why I'm leaning towards taking TPR this upcoming spring.

R.P. McMurphy

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
League54 said:
Yea, when I'm taking a full load, I dont feel that I set enough spare time for other things (like studying for the MCAT) which is why I'm leaning towards taking TPR this upcoming spring.
I think prep courses are still very good if used the right way. If you have a busy semester then it's a great idea. However, if you have tons of time to study (like many people do over the summer) then I think a prep course is a waste of money.

I had a ridiculously busy semester last spring and I would have probably put off studying until the last 2 weeks if I hadn't forced myself into getting my $1000 worth. The MCAT was important, but always seemed to be on the very end of my list of priorities (probably because I hated it so much).

OP
League54

League54

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2006
Warrenville IL
Status
Medical Student
ironmanf14 said:
I think prep courses are still very good if used the right way. If you have a busy semester then it's a great idea. However, if you have tons of time to study (like many people do over the summer) then I think a prep course is a waste of money.

I had a ridiculously busy semester last spring and I would have probably put off studying until the last 2 weeks if I hadn't forced myself into getting my $1000 worth. The MCAT was important, but always seemed to be on the very end of my list of priorities (probably because I hated it so much).
That's the best advice I've heard yet. I'm all but sold on taking TPR.

R.P. McMurphy

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
League54 said:
That's the best advice I've heard yet. I'm all but sold on taking TPR.
I hope everything works out and you are happy with your choice :) Another thing to remember - you will probably be taking the first batch of computer based MCATs......so the strategies may be new for the prep courses (they may not have the best advice yet since it is so new?)

Not that I am trying to discourage you from taking PR, just something to think about :)

OP
League54

League54

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2006
Warrenville IL
Status
Medical Student
ironmanf14 said:
I hope everything works out and you are happy with your choice :) Another thing to remember - you will probably be taking the first batch of computer based MCATs......so the strategies may be new for the prep courses (they may not have the best advice yet since it is so new?)

Not that I am trying to discourage you from taking PR, just something to think about :)
Yea, that will be interesting....I'm wondering how fast these courses will be shifting course. TPR class I'm taking ends April 7th, I'm going to do either EK or Gold Standard from then till the May 16th or 29th MCAT. Leaning towards the 29th, but not sure. :cool:

leahmaria

10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
ironmanf14 said:

I completely agree. I am the type of person who would put it off, so I took the review course (Kaplan), and I studied a lot with it and did great on the MCAT. My friends who we're constantly procrastinating didn't do so hot. I did have friends who studied on their own and did great, but they're more self motivating than I am.

My improvement on the MCAT (diagnostic to the real thing--13 points) was worth every dollar of the class. I took a course starting in spring, so it met twice a week and all of the material was closer to the test. The class met at my university...so picking something thats doable is good too...

ParvatiP

10+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2006
NY
Status
Medical Student
A related question: I am going to be studying on my own for the Apr 2007 MCAT. I have AAMC, Kaplan, and a few TPR tests. I want to buy a review set though- should I get TPR or EK??

I hear TPR has very thorough review, so should I buy that since I will be trying to study way in advance for the test, or would EK be a better buy??

Thanks a lot!

dr.kicia

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2003
where the heart is***
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
ParvatiP said:
A related question: I am going to be studying on my own for the Apr 2007 MCAT. I have AAMC, Kaplan, and a few TPR tests. I want to buy a review set though- should I get TPR or EK??

I hear TPR has very thorough review, so should I buy that since I will be trying to study way in advance for the test, or would EK be a better buy??

Thanks a lot!
I would recomend both. EK is great especially their verbal and bio sections. I also recomend getting AO, especially if you could use your drive to school for listening to the lectures. I have a TPR and i would say it's good only if you took your pre-rqs long time ago or if you didn't do that well in them. In my opinion there is to much unrelated and useless information in them. EK is much more organized in my opinion though their physics book is a little weak. Other then taht they are pretty good in pointing out what you should know for the MCAT. But if you are a freak that needs to understand every single detail wether you need it or not and if it will make you feel more comfortable on the test day...then hey, just buy both. You can try amazon or ebay. Usually there are tons of those for sale and if you wait few more weeks there will be a ton more since the August mcaters will be selling off.
GLTY
:luck:
I heard many people talking about the VisualAid which i am going to get myself since i do not have a stable enough schedule for a prep course.

About the Ads