Advice on MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

haigui

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a medical student at Cambridge University. I've been offered a place in the MD/PhD programme but I'm not sure whether to accept it or not. I plan to eventually practice in US so my question is would an MD/PhD degree be more helpful in securing a residency or does it not matter?

Would appreciate advice from IMGs who are doing residencies in US. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't want to accept it, I'll take it.

I think most of the people who frequent this board will agree that by having both degrees especially from Cambridge will make you an extremely strong candidate for the residency of your choice. But if your decision to pursue both degrees is solely to secure a top residency than you might be wasting your time. Most people pursue an MD/PhD in order to fulfill their career goals of biomedical/basic science research.

If you strictly want to be a clinician, you would be better off do clinical research in your field of interest. That would improve your application.

thanks for the quick reply, Aptamer.

The PhD will take an extra 3 years or so. I'd like to be doing a US residency after graduation. I've already had some publications from my undergraduate research. If I get good scores on my Steps, would that suffice to give me a better chance of getting a match even without the PhD? Most US residencies include research years which is a big plus for me.

I'll actually be in Cambridge in about a month starting an M.Phil.

There are differences in the UK and USA training and medical systems. The MSTP is supposed to create physician-scientists interested in biomedical research.

If you want to do clinical work only, then the MSTP may not be your best bet. Although I would dare to say that Cambridge's medical program is not of the same quality (from a US perspective) as some of the top-ranked US medical programs, the people reviewing your application for residiencies may not know this (i.e. name recognition of Cambridge is great).

If you do well on the USLME ("Steps"), you'll should do fine getting into a great residency.