Advice on MPH programs from those currently enrolled in MPH programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cecile89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello my fellow readers,

I am a recent (2010) bachelors graduate from a state university, and currently in the process of taking the GRE and applying for MPH programs. I am applying in the social and behavioral sciences. I am applying to the following schools:

Boston U
Virginia Commonwealth University
SUNY Albany
SUNY Buffalo
U of Wisconsin-Madison
U of Washington
U of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
University of Pittsburg

My top school is Boston U, because it appears that they have a very good program in my area of concentration. Can anyone, specifically those who are current BU students, how reputable the school is? How are professors there? Are there lots of research opportunities at the school? How credible is the global health department. Is it student-friendly school? Is BUSPH affiliated with good organizations? I have research everything on the schools website, however I want to know what BUSPH students have to say, and what is there experience been like. Has it met your expectations?

Also, if anyone knows anything about any of the above schools that I am applying to please give feedback. They all appear very competitive, and I am wondering if I have any chance in any of them at all. I don't have an awesome profile either, and definately no work experience. My undergrad GPA was a 3.0, and I was a health sciences student. I haven't taken the GRE yet so I don't know what my scores will be. Although I am pretty sure I can get a 550-600 in quantitative, and 600-650 in verbal, at least thats what i've been getting on the practice tests.

I went to a very average undergraduate university, and want to go to a very good MPH program to give me an edge and to help me in starting a good career. Sorry for such a long post. But any advice, suggestions, thoughts would be helpful!

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have compiled a very interesting list. I see you were a health sciences, what exactly was your major? Also, even though you don't have work experience, do you have any volunteer or public health experience?
What is the concentration you are looking to pursue?

You have compiled a very interesting list. I see you were a health sciences, what exactly was your major? Also, even though you don't have work experience, do you have any volunteer or public health experience?
What is the concentration you are looking to pursue?

I was a health sciences major, with a prenursing concentration (I am choosing not to apply to nursing, because I have lost interest in it--and find public health to be more interesting to study). Unfortunately, I do not have any volunteer experience either. I am looking to pursue social and behavioral sciences concentration.

Members don't see this ad :)
My top school is Boston U, because it appears that they have a very good program in my area of concentration and have a track in health disparities (which is specifically what I want to study). However, I have read some interesting things about BU...

All of the posts on this message board are searchable on Google and other search engines. What you have said about BU is only hearsay, you have no personal experience with the school, and you have not given any references or solid details to give substance to your statements. In making negative comments here, there is the possibility of damaging the school's reputation in the eyes of prospective students, or anyone else who may be interested in the school's reputation. I have no affiliation with BU, but I just want to point out that anything posted on the internet has the potential for unforeseen consequences. I think you should consider editing your post and rewording or deleting those comments that could have negative effects beyond this message board.

All of the posts on this message board are searchable on Google and other search engines. What you have said about BU is only hearsay, you have no personal experience with the school, and you have not given any references or solid details to give substance to your statements. In making negative comments here, there is the possibility of damaging the school's reputation in the eyes of prospective students, or anyone else who may be interested in the school's reputation. I have no affiliation with BU, but I just want to point out that anything posted on the internet has the potential for unforeseen consequences. I think you should consider editing your post and rewording or deleting those comments that could have negative effects beyond this message board.

Thank you for letting me know. I was simply referring to things I have read here and at other place. I actually want to go to BU, and was only asking others if what I've heard is true or not. I actually want to go to BU :)

I am a current BUSPH student - albeit a newly matriculated MSc student, so I can only offer you my initial/limited impressions and views. Overall, the program is highly practice focused. The faculty and administration bend over backwards for students. They set up every resource possible - and flood your inbox with e-mails - about events, opportunities, seminars etc. The professors are very student-centered; one of my professors offers rides to students after his evening class, and they likewise set up social events in the community, walks, etc so students and professors can interact in an enviornment outside the classroom. There are many many research opportunities going on at the school. The school is affiliated with Boston Medical Center (a "safety net" community hospital) so as you can imagine its an ideal place for practicing public health while simultaneously pursuing PH graduate coursework.

My advice to you would be to attend an in-person information session at the school and while there set up a time to sit down with a faculty member from the SB department. If you still think that BU may be the place for you, apply early, and in your application essay stress that you attended an admissions event, met with faculty, and that these experiences confirmed your decision to go there. Ad coms love to see genuine enthusaism for the subject matter and THEIR program.

I am a current BUSPH student - albeit a newly matriculated MSc student, so I can only offer you my initial/limited impressions and views. Overall, the program is highly practice focused. The faculty and administration bend over backwards for students. They set up every resource possible - and flood your inbox with e-mails - about events, opportunities, seminars etc. The professors are very student-centered; one of my professors offers rides to students after his evening class, and they likewise set up social events in the community, walks, etc so students and professors can interact in an enviornment outside the classroom. There are many many research opportunities going on at the school. The school is affiliated with Boston Medical Center (a "safety net" community hospital) so as you can imagine its an ideal place for practicing public health while simultaneously pursuing PH graduate coursework.

My advice to you would be to attend an in-person information session at the school and while there set up a time to sit down with a faculty member from the SB department. If you still think that BU may be the place for you, apply early, and in your application essay stress that you attended an admissions event, met with faculty, and that these experiences confirmed your decision to go there. Ad coms love to see genuine enthusaism for the subject matter and THEIR program.

Great advice.

A bit off the topic of BU, I have also been doing a lot of research into health disparities tracks. The schools I found with specific tracks or concentrations:

Oregon MPH (online)
University of Pittsburgh
Eastern Carolina University (Greenville, NC)
New Mexico State University (Las Cruces, NM)
Certainly a less buzzed list than the one you compiled. Do all the schools on your list have health disparities as a concentration?

A couple other programs I have encountered:
Columbia seems to have d/c their program in disparities in the last year or so.
University of Colorado has a health disparities/global health program but it is almost exclusively global health.
University of Arizona has a new online certificate in Maternal Child Epi but it only accepts current health practitioners working in areas with a large Native American population or in Appalachia as it focuses on those populations specifically.

Good luck to you!