Advice on MS4 students attending Anesthesiology 2012 conference in DC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neon Goat

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

4th year student applying for anesthesia this fall. I'm asking for advice on how much effort I should make to attend the conference in DC this year. It's on a weekend between 2 rotations, and I will be in Albuquerque which means $$ and time to get there (moreso than if I was on the east coast). I'm interested in the conference and it looks like a great place to meet people and get involved, but never having attended I'm wondering how much effort I should make to attend.

Thanks for advice/comments.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone been the conference in previous years that can take a minute to write something? You can just pick a number if it's a matter of time:

1. Don't go, it's not worth it for a MS4.

2. Go, it's worth it for a MS4.

3. Maybe you should go, maybe not but I cannot give an opinion.

Has anyone been the conference in previous years that can take a minute to write something? You can just pick a number if it's a matter of time:

1. Don't go, it's not worth it for a MS4.

2. Go, it's worth it for a MS4.

3. Maybe you should go, maybe not but I cannot give an opinion.

If it weren't a matter of traveling from NM to DC I would say it's worth it. But worth the $500?+ dollars to fly out (plus hotel, food, etc), I would say probably not.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went last year since it was in Chicago and many of the residencies at the fair took down names of students and I know personally and others on this board that mentioned possibly getting an interview or two as a likely result.

There is a residency program director meet and greet on saturday which I can imagine would be helpful in getting interviews. However I doubt it is worth spending the extra money solely for that unless your application needs a lot of help.

Wow. No wonder some of the questions that get asked here, get asked here...

You don't need to go. It will play a very small part in your overall application, if at all. In Chicago, there were so many students there that you barely had a few minutes to talk to a resident at a specific program, let alone a PD. For what it's worth, I went and spoke with several programs and I ended up ranking/matching at my #1, which was one of the few programs that I did NOT have time to talk to.

Edit: If you live nearby, I'd say it would be worthwhile if you have time. It's a cool feeling seeing so many anesthesiologists in one place.

Thanks for the comments guys. I think I will wait until residency to attend.