Advice on My best route to Med School.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BT1411

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All. I am a 22 year old male and have been enduring this whole college thing for 5 years now. I started at 17 at a community college. Unmotivated, wanting to party, and barely getting by were all characteristics of me. About 3 year in my overall gpa was about 2.5. Now I am standing at a 3.22 and am still at this community college. I have been here so long because I originally only wanted an Associates in Electronic Engineering. Ok, I got that last May. Then I decided I wanted to transfer to a 4 year school and get a bachelors. The CC would be much cheaper as I work full time as a landscaper. One big problem I have now is, I am not digging this engineering thing. I realized it was not for me a few years ago but I thought it was just because I was burnt out. Nope....I don't like it. What I like is the mind and how it works. I am taking a course in abnormal psychology here and I love it. I thought maybe I could go into psychology and learn about this mind. But I was to know not only how the mind works, but how bodily processes, and diseases, and medical factors work in the mind as well. I want to do psychiatry.

So, here I am have take Chem I and II (both made A's), Physics I and II (2 more A's), Calc I,II (C in I and an A in II). My questions are: where do I go from here? I know anything I regarding acceptance into Med school is a long shot considering my low GPA at this CC. Also, there are other things (Life situations) that will play a role and it you all would like to discuss that with me, I would be more than happy to. It will give you all a better perspective of my situation. I would post it here but this post is already long enough.

Members don't see this ad.

Take all your prereqs and get good grades and kill the MCAT (33 or so).

Also, go to a 4 year college and get a BS.

Hopefully, you can get up to a 3.4-3.5 with a strong upward trend.

Then, get some volunteering and organization stuff.

You still have a shot.