Advice on my non traditional path to med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

McNelly

Reaction score
Hello everyone, sorry if you’ve seen my previous post (I posted in the wrong section).

I recently graduated with a degree in Accounting, worked for 4 months and realized it is NOT for me. I wish I would of interned, but with college sports it was hard. Anyways, I’ve talked with some advisors, and it looks like after I finish my last pre reqs, I will have a 3.5c GPA, and a 3.8 pre req. I’m worried that my 3.5 will hurt my chances for med school.

I have not taken the MCAT yet, and I have not done any shadowing. I have started to reach out to some people in my hometown, and I am getting some shadowing set up.

My biggest concern is research. I’ve been doing my pre reqs at a CC, and they do not have any research opportunities. Also, how many hours of shadowing/ volunteer should I aim to have? Lastly, what would a competitive MCAT score be for me? I also live in KS, if that matters at all.

Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would aim for 60+ hours of shadowing. I would shadow a primary care doc as primary care is the mission statement at many schools. Also if you plan to apply DO, I would also try to get a DO letter. Your GPA is okay, but I would aim for 510+ MCAT. (Easier said than done, but it's a good goal).

I also graduated with a degree in accounting and discovered I disliked it after working my first tax season. I completed 36 hours of medical school prerequisites at a CC and 4 year university last year.

This Fall, I started a graduate program in biology designed for people who are trying to enhance their academic record and get a committee letter. My goal for clinical and non-clinical volunteering is 250 hours of each, but I've read here on SDN that 150 of each is enough.

Depending on when you plan to apply, earning 30+ hours if As could significantly improve your GPA. You could enroll at a 4 year university and take advantage of any research opportunities they offer traditional premed students. Alternatively, have you asked any CC professors about research? The chemistry instructor(PhD) at the CC I attended had helped several student create research posters.