Advice on my non-traditional position for a future in medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hellp SDN! I've been a lurker for a year or so, but the past couple weeks research about this upcoming medical school application cycle has made me interested in your opinion over my situation. I have detailed it below, along with some questions I have for the community.

I am a former Ph.D. Candidate that was removed from my program over allegations of research misconduct that I accepted to prevent any further damage to my student records. To keep it brief, I manipulated a data set that wasn't intended for publication/grants, but ended up in a grant without my knowledge. The lab I was with was tight on money and pursued the issue since a grant couldn't be submitted and the University gave me the choice to accept the research misconduct or I could pursue a bigger case that most-likely would have ended up with me getting expelled. I chose the former and instead removed myself from the university on the condition that there would be no marks on my transcript but a remark about the misconduct in my student records.

Since leaving the university, I got a job as a Quality Engineer at a large medical device company but I want to pursue medicine and clinical research. I also got involved with a local free clinic while trying to get a job in my area, and am currently one of the managers of said clinic. While an undergrad, I toyed with the idea of medical school but floundered with the MCAT (got a 503 back in 2016) and decided to go to graduate school and do the medical school route after the Ph.D. I am excited for the opportunity to pursue a M.D./Ph.D., and I know I have the ability to complete a general exam again at a different institution since I was successful at it the first time at my previous graduate institution. I am currently planning on taking the MCAT on July 7th, and would like to apply this cycle; however, unsure as to my application's competitiveness even if I have a high MCAT score because of leaving my Ph.D. within the last year. Additionally, I will be moving to LA this coming Fall from the Midwest, which will put me within stone's throw of several major universities and I was planning on contacting professors there to finish up an M.S. with them.

My Questions:
  1. Anyone willing to comment on my situation as to the competitiveness of my situation within the scope of the medical school application process? I am planning on scoring higher on my MCAT this time around, shooting for >515.
  2. Do you think it would be a good idea to complete my application this cycle, or give it more time and apply next cycle? I don't mind waiting an additional year to apply and have some hesitations about apply this cycle (I feel rushed since I would be trying to study for MCAT + complete medical school application).
  3. Any advice on handling the misconduct in the scope of the medical school application?
  4. Any other advice?

I would appreciate any advice from y'all, since there seems to be a diverse group of undergraduates/medical students present here and I'm excited for you opinions!

Other relevant information:
- Undergraduate GPA: 3.69
- Graduate GPA: 3.95
- Extensive research background (papers, abstracts, medical device development & provisional patents, national/international conferences, fellowship for research from previous graduate university).
-~150h clinical volunteer hours

Members don't see this ad.

1. How long ago were you enrolled in the PhD program?
2. When did the incident occur?

I att
1. How long ago were you enrolled in the PhD program?
2. When did the incident occur?

Thanks for the reply! I attended the Ph.D. program until October 2019. The incident occurred in Dec 2018.
Let me know if there is any additional information I can provide.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are a lot of people who wouldn’t want you at this point, you were dishonest at a phd level. You will need to be ready to describe why someone needs to take that risk when there are a line of people out the door without a proven dishonest past.

this can be an uphill climb, just be ready for it

Reactions: 1 user
There are a lot of people who wouldn’t want you at this point, you were dishonest at a phd level. You will need to be ready to describe why someone needs to take that risk when there are a line of people out the door without a proven dishonest past.

this can be an uphill climb, just be ready for it

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate the honesty. Do you think that applying so soon would draw concern that I haven't learned from the past?

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate the honesty. Do you think that applying so soon would draw concern that I haven't learned from the past?

I think more time between the IA and your application can only benefit you. 9 months really isn’t a lot of time.