Advice on my OAT scores, take it again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paasnaas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I just wanted to get some advice on what I should do. I don't know if I should take my OAT again. I feel like I should take it just one more time to try & improve my Physics & QR. I want to apply this coming cycle. My undergrad GPA was around 3.3.

1st attempt:
QR: 340
RC: 270
BIO: 350
G-Chem: 360
O-Chem: 310
Physics: 310
TS: 330
AA: 320

2nd attempt:
QR: 280
RC: 290
G-Chem: 390
O-Chem: 400
Physics: 290
TS: 360
AA: 330

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

If you feel like throwing money and time down the toilet, sure, take it again. Those scores are good enough.

with a score of 360/330 you will get interviews almost everywhere. the ones that will give you a hard time will be berkley, suny and scco. be prepared to explain a sub-300 score for the ones you did get. good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
with a score of 360/330 you will get interviews almost everywhere. the ones that will give you a hard time will be berkley, suny and scco. be prepared to explain a sub-300 score for the ones you did get. good luck

I agree with this. How are your Physics grades in your classes? Calc grades? English grades? If those are strong enough, then I definitely wouldn't consider taking it again. I also think there are some schools that have the "take is as many times as you want" mentality, while there are others that view any more than 2 attempts as not responsibly preparing for it (after all, our first time taking the boards goes into a very important stat for the schools). Also, many schools will put your application on hold for you to take the OAT again if they feel strongly like that's the only reason they couldn't admit you.

What schools would you like to get into? I guarantee you that your average scores (the AA and TS) are high enough for almost all the schools, so I wouldn't worry.

Everything is awesome except for the physics. You know that 35% of the national boards are based on optics? The reason I went into optometry was because my physics was awesome. I see your O-Chem is awesome. Have you considered pharmacy? Optometry is definitely the most physics based out of any health-care profession except maybe radiology and radiation oncology.

There are schools that will give you a hard time about the sub-300 scores, but you'll at least get interviews most places. if you really want to take it again then go for it, but unless you're applying to the 'top notch' schools I wouldn't waste the time or money.

As far as physics goes, don't worry about it. My worst subject was physics, but optics makes sense and most 'physics' from undergrad never shows up again.

I agree with this. How are your Physics grades in your classes? Calc grades? English grades? If those are strong enough, then I definitely wouldn't consider taking it again. I also think there are some schools that have the "take is as many times as you want" mentality, while there are others that view any more than 2 attempts as not responsibly preparing for it (after all, our first time taking the boards goes into a very important stat for the schools). Also, many schools will put your application on hold for you to take the OAT again if they feel strongly like that's the only reason they couldn't admit you.

What schools would you like to get into? I guarantee you that your average scores (the AA and TS) are high enough for almost all the schools, so I wouldn't worry.

My physic grades were good, got an A- in physics 1A, B+'s in phyics 1B and physics 1C. I got A's in all my calculus classes. I only took one english class and got a B.

I would like to apply to Pacific, Western, Berkley, SCCO, Nova, ICO, Midwestern, SUNY, New England, and possibly Pennsylvania. I am from cali so I would like to stay in Cali if I can, but I will go wherever I get accepted.

Everything is awesome except for the physics. You know that 35% of the national boards are based on optics? The reason I went into optometry was because my physics was awesome. I see your O-Chem is awesome. Have you considered pharmacy? Optometry is definitely the most physics based out of any health-care profession except maybe radiology and radiation oncology.

I have shadowed pharmacists and did not like it, it was not for me. I did good in physics in college(I posted my grades above), its just not showing on my OAT :confused:

There are schools that will give you a hard time about the sub-300 scores, but you'll at least get interviews most places. if you really want to take it again then go for it, but unless you're applying to the 'top notch' schools I wouldn't waste the time or money.

I definitely feel like they will ask me about those scores. There are a few tough schools that I will be applying to so I'm not sure if I will make the cut OAT-wise. But I would like to try. Thank you for the heads up.

As far as physics goes, don't worry about it. My worst subject was physics, but optics makes sense and most 'physics' from undergrad never shows up again.

Really?! During your interview did schools question you about your low physic scores? If you don't mind me asking what did you get on the physics section of your OAT? And what optometry school are you attending?

If you feel like throwing money and time down the toilet, sure, take it again. Those scores are good enough.

Thank you for the help :)

Dang...I am planning on applying to berkley, suny and scco. This is why I want to consider taking it again. I would really like to stay in Cali since I am from here.

Last edited:
I would like to apply to Pacific, Western, Berkley, SCCO, Nova, ICO, Midwestern, SUNY, New England, and possibly Pennsylvania. I am from cali so I would like to stay in Cali if I can, but I will go wherever I get accepted.

Dang...I am planning on applying to berkley, suny and scco. This is why I want to consider taking it again. I would really like to stay in Cali since I am from here.

I would narrow it down to top 5 that you want to apply, moreso for the financial aspect of applying than anything else. Like i said before with those scores its EXTREMELY unlikely you won't get accepted somewhere. As for staying in Cali, your stats seem competitive for all schools.

I would research the programs prior to applying just to get a sense as to how each school differs from the rest. No one really told me that and it's something that I feel is important in actually choosing a school. Ask questions, specifically what each school is known for and then see if it matches with how you want to learn the profession. Hope this helped you out a bit

I would narrow it down to top 5 that you want to apply, moreso for the financial aspect of applying than anything else. Like i said before with those scores its EXTREMELY unlikely you won't get accepted somewhere. As for staying in Cali, your stats seem competitive for all schools.

I would research the programs prior to applying just to get a sense as to how each school differs from the rest. No one really told me that and it's something that I feel is important in actually choosing a school. Ask questions, specifically what each school is known for and then see if it matches with how you want to learn the profession. Hope this helped you out a bit

This will definitely help out. Thank you!

To answer your question, I got a 330 on the physics portion by using Kaplan. Also, I'm a student at OSU.

Hi there, I just wanted to get some advice on what I should do. I don't know if I should take my OAT again. I feel like I should take it just one more time to try & improve my Physics & QR. I want to apply this coming cycle. My undergrad GPA was around 3.3.

1st attempt:
QR: 340
RC: 270
G-Chem: 360
O-Chem: 310
Physics: 310
TS: 330
AA: 320

2nd attempt:
QR: 280
RC: 290
G-Chem: 390
O-Chem: 400
Physics: 290
TS: 360
AA: 330

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Your first set of scores was actually pretty good. You introduced 2 new sub-200 scores in your second attempt and some schools don't accept scores for any section below 300. You should call each school you are interested in and mention both sets of scores. If I was you I wouldn't even think about taking it again. It's not like you need to compensate for a weak GPA. A 3.3 is acceptable at most schools.

Your first set of scores was actually pretty good. You introduced 2 new sub-200 scores in your second attempt and some schools don't accept scores for any section below 300. You should call each school you are interested in and mention both sets of scores. If I was you I wouldn't even think about taking it again. It's not like you need to compensate for a weak GPA. A 3.3 is acceptable at most schools.

That's what I am most afraid of since I did introduce 2 more sub-300 scores. But I did improve on my RC and Ochem which helped me boost my score up. I did worse on 2 subjects but did better on 2 other subjects : /. Not sure how that will look when the admissions committee look at it. My main goal on my second attempt was to improve my RC and Ochem actually (I put a lot more study time in those subjects). So, I guess I did accomplish what I wanted but my QR and Physics scores took a hit as a result. :mad:

I will definitely be calling schools to see what I should do. Thank you!

That's what I am most afraid of since I did introduce 2 more sub-300 scores. But I did improve on my RC and Ochem which helped me boost my score up. I did worse on 2 subjects but did better on 2 other subjects : /. Not sure how that will look when the admissions committee look at it. My main goal on my second attempt was to improve my RC and Ochem actually (I put a lot more study time in those subjects). So, I guess I did accomplish what I wanted but my QR and Physics scores took a hit as a result. :mad:

I will definitely be calling schools to see what I should do. Thank you!

Good call. I think overall your science scores are fine. I wouldn't worry about the QR score, especially since you got great grades in your math classes. I also don't think the reading comp section is a huge deal, given your overall high scores. Timed reading on a test is not everyone's forte and I think a lot of schools get that. If you've shown in your transcript that you have challenged yourself (taken a tough load of classes somewhere, challenging courses in general, etc.) then they will trust that you can stay up with the reading in school.

The only schools where I would say you wouldn't be super competitive would be Berkeley and SUNY - but that's definitely not to say you couldn't get in with your scores as they are. You just wouldn't be AS competitive there. I think you're just fine for the other schools, but certainly calling them would help. Lots of schools offer good academic counseling - SCCO and Berkeley do individual sessions with students for sure. I imagine the other schools on your list do too, I'm just not as familiar with their admissions process.

Here's last year's class averages:
http://www.opted.org/files/public/Profile of the Entering Class 2011.pdf

Berkeley posts their range of scores on their website and reminds students to keep in mind that they have a high average, but a broad range...so that's why I say that you always still have a shot. Berkeley only takes the AA though.
http://optometry.berkeley.edu/admissions/profile-1st-year-students