Advice on My Prereq/Mcat Timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ACCT2MED

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background:

31 year old professional

Bachelor of Accounting
3.76 uGPA

Master of Logistics
3.92 gGPA

3.84 sGPA from undergrad coursework

Previously took Gen Chem 1/Gen Bio 1 and received As, but am retaking because I took the courses too long ago for any useful application/retention.

I'm a Texas resident and only plan on applying to Texas schools. I'm fairly academically disciplined, but want to ensure that I'm not setting myself up for failure. I plan to start out light while still working, then transition to full time study in the Summer 18 semester.

My prerequisite timeline is listed below:

Spring 18
Gen Bio 1

Summer 18
Gen Chem 1
Gen Chem 2

Fall 18
Gen Bio 2
Ochem 1
Phys 1
Stats

Spring 19
Biochem 1
Ochem 2
Phys 2
Micro or Alternative Bio Course

Summer 19
Study and take MCAT

Feasibly I could delay some courses until the Fall 19 semester and still meet the 6/1/2020 application opening. So, what are you opinions? Does this plan seem sound or is it a recipe for failure?

Members don't see this ad.

Those classes generally include labs... it's going to be a busy year for you! I spread my post-bacc out, which I would recommend especially if you're working.

Reactions: 1 user
When exactly do you plan on taking the MCAT? Your timing is too rushed for 2019 apps but seems too front loaded for 2020 apps...

Members don't see this ad :)
I’d youre gonna be a full time student by fall 2018 then I think your schedule is absolutely reasonable.

Can you audit those classes you made As in and just sit in? I wouldn't want to retake mundane lab portions for a refresher. Whatever you decide to do, summer studying for MCAT seems a bit late since our application cycle starts in May.

Honestly i get that you took the classes a while ago, but retaking them for that reason seems like a waste of time.

Background:

31 year old professional

Bachelor of Accounting
3.76 uGPA

Master of Logistics
3.92 gGPA

3.84 sGPA from undergrad coursework

Previously took Gen Chem 1/Gen Bio 1 and received As, but am retaking because I took the courses too long ago for any useful application/retention.

I'm a Texas resident and only plan on applying to Texas schools. I'm fairly academically disciplined, but want to ensure that I'm not setting myself up for failure. I plan to start out light while still working, then transition to full time study in the Summer 18 semester.

My prerequisite timeline is listed below:

Spring 18
Gen Bio 1

Summer 18
Gen Chem 1
Gen Chem 2

Fall 18
Gen Bio 2
Ochem 1
Phys 1
Stats

Spring 19
Biochem 1
Ochem 2
Phys 2
Micro or Alternative Bio Course

Summer 19
Study and take MCAT

Feasibly I could delay some courses until the Fall 19 semester and still meet the 6/1/2020 application opening. So, what are you opinions? Does this plan seem sound or is it a recipe for failure?

I don't know where in Texas you are, but the Texas Univ I went to required you take Ochem II before taking Biochem, so Spring 2019, you're going to run into some trouble likely. I also wouldn't recommend doing all of those pre reqs together. Spring 2019 seems crazy to me. Micro at my university has a lab and is extremely difficult. You'd be in 3 lab classes, plus biochem if they let you. At best you're going to burn yourself out so quickly you won't know what to do, at worst, you're going to get poor grades because the course load is too much. No matter how dedicated you are, I feel like that's a challenging schedule and I wouldn't recommend it. The goal is to get all a's in everything... not get through as fast as possible. Also, I started with Gen Bio as well and slightly regret that decision. The chemistry sequence takes forever, so maybe take gen bio and gen chem your first semester to get that going. Then take Gen Chem II and another prerequisite if you can in the summer. That'll lighten your course load a bit later on. In an ideal situation you'll be able to find Ochem I offered the second half of summer after you've taken Gen chem II, but it doesn't always work out that way.

When exactly do you plan on taking the MCAT? Your timing is too rushed for 2019 apps but seems too front loaded for 2020 apps...
My plan was to take the MCAT at the end of Summer 2019, then work as a scribe to strengthen my clinical experience during Fall 2019 and Spring 2020--which means I would apply during May 2020 and be on track to matriculate in 2021.

My plan was to take the MCAT at the end of Summer 2019, then work as a scribe to strengthen my clinical experience during Fall 2019 and Spring 2020--which means I would apply during May 2020 and be on track to matriculate in 2021.

Personally, I would use an additional semester for the course work and MCAT prep and do 6 months of clinical scribe experience. MCAT/GPA >>>> scribe experience. One summer of MCAT seems light esp since you won't be applying until the following summer.

We have very similar backgrounds by the way. I was finance major bachelors and 29 this year. Also hoping to be matriculating 2021. Best of luck to us!

Personally, I would use an additional semester for the course work and MCAT prep and do 6 months of clinical scribe experience. MCAT/GPA >>>> scribe experience. One summer of MCAT seems light esp since you won't be applying until the following summer.

We have very similar backgrounds by the way. I was finance major bachelors and 29 this year. Also hoping to be matriculating 2021. Best of luck to us!

I am in full agreement. I decided to heed the advice given in this thread after giving it some thought. Spreading the prereqs over an additional semester will optimize my chances for success and I will still be on schedule for matriculation in 2021 (if I'm accepted, of course)--slow and steady wins the race. Thanks for taking the time to respond and best of luck in this journey!