Advice on my situation please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Janedoesmith

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a junior in my undergrad. My GPA is down the drain at 2.3, but my MCATS are high 43!! I believe my GPA is the results of my personal problems. How do you guys think I should approach my Med school application?! and what about recommendation letters? Let me know what you think

Members don't see this ad.

I am a junior in my undergrad. My GPA is down the drain at 2.3, but my MCATS are high 43!! I believe my GPA is the results of my personal problems. How do you guys think I should approach my Med school application?! and what about recommendation letters? Let me know what you think

First, make sure you iron out your personal problems. You're obviously very intelligent. As far as rec letters go, have you shadowed? have you done any research? it might be tough for you to get form teachers since your grades are low....

Unfortunately that GPA will probably keep you out of every program. Doubly unforunately, by the time you raise it to something decent, your MCAT will probably expire.

Members don't see this ad :)
apply to some lower ranked schools. that gpa looks terrible but that mcat is amazing. maybe you will pass the screen to certain schools. try contacting the schools and ask them about it.

:troll:

This premeds be trollin' hard brah.

I have never seen numbers that low in terms of gpa. It has already been mentioned that you are not competitive for even DO schools, despite the incredibly high mcat score. I smell SMP in your future...

If true, you'd probaby have to do a SMP or something to prove you've gotten over your problems and can do well in class. One great test doesn't redeem you, even if you went to Harvard. 3.4 from a top 10 school, sure. Happens all the time, I had modest grades and a great MCAT, no problem.
Great ECs will help. It might help if you were a D1 athlete or something, explaining why you were so capable, but didn't do well in your classes.
As you are, you'd be a big unnecessary risk at most (all?) schools.