MrLahey

Trailer Park Supervisor
Nov 2, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm an Arizona resident, and with my following stats how does my following list of medical schools look? Sorry it's long, I've been stalking for awhile and want to get in on the action.

cgpa:3.5
sgpa:3.45
MCAT 32Q v:11 p:11 b:10

Major Honors chemical engineering,Major Molecular Biology, Minor in chemisty

Honors: Full scholarship, Mayo clinic undergrad scholarship, Deans list, Academic distinction and National society of leaders

EC:
1. Hospice Preceptor
a. Assisted nurses and physicians, learning the intricacies of palliative medicine. Hands on patient contact. Became a preceptor, teaching new volunteers how to handle patients and how to care for them. 200 hours

2. Pallative home-care assistant
a. Visitng patients near death. Learning how to approach, how to talk to and comfort patients 50 hours

3. Mayo Clinic Research Fellow
a. Program that spanned 3 years, shadowing Urologists in clinic and surgery. Interacted with physicians, residents, med students and nurses. Helped develop surgical databases, restructuring physician OP notes. Analyzed, designed and authored 5 published papers. 300 hours

4. University Of Arizona Colligate cyclist
a. Competed in the southwestern conference against other universities around the southwester US. Trained and dedicated 10-15 hours a week to be successful. my team place 9th in nationals.

5. Heat shock Protien Research
a. Undergrad research assistant assisting in of HSP 70 BP1, discovered by my mentor. Cultured proteins, isolated deiserd proteins, ran gel elctrophoriesis, dialysis and buffering systems. Created a CDNA library for our bacterial plasmid created in our lab. 225 hours 1 full year

6. Medical Specialties club
a. Founding member of the medical specialties club, designed to expose pre-meds to various fields of medicine. Spent 25 hours in the ASTEC simulation lab performing simulation procedures, patient assessment and laparoscopic simulation.

7. MCAT tutor
a. MCAT verbal tutor, set up program alone, enrolled 10 students, volunteered my time to tutor them 2 hours a week in prep for the MCAT

8. OXE
a. Honors chemical engineering society. Volunteering throught the comunity and tutoring underclassmen 1 hour a week

9. Shadowing
Urology: surgical and clinical
Cardiothoracic: surgical and clinical
Transplant: surgical
Pallative medicine: Clinical
Dermatology: clinical
Orthopedic:clinical and surgical
family medicine: clinical
Internal medicine: clinical
100-200 hours

So that's the important stuff. I have more stuff, but those are the big guys.
Heres my list of schools:
Competitive:
UofA tucson
Uof A phx
George Washinton
Georgetown
Roselind Franklind
Tulane
Jefferson
Oklamhoma University

Small Reach:
USC
Boston University
Saint louis
Crieghton
Wake forest
Case Western

Big Reach:
Stanford
UCLA
Denver
Emory
Mayo
Dartmoth
Duke
Oregon
UCSF
Baylor

So any other schools I would be competitive at? I know my GPA is my weak point, but with this whole junior year at a 4.0 I could possible get both gpa's up to a 3.55 and would have an upward trend of all A's in my last 2 semesters before appying. I'm planing on submitting my app the first week of june to get a head start? Any schools that seem like I shouldn't even reach for? I have great letters of rec(I bet everyone thinks this).
Two of my publications are already on pubmed the others are abstracts or presentations in the meeting suppl.
Thanks, if anyone needs more info I can provide it.

Last edited:

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Camp SDN: The Place for Summer Fun
You have a very nice activity list. Other schools to consider that have a good OOS acceptance rate:

UIllinois, Wayne, Buffalo, Toledo, Drexel, Temple, Vermont, VCU, Virginia Tech Carilion (new),
Louisville, ?UNevada, NYMC, MUSC, SCarolina, EVMS,
Rush, Michigan State, Oakland (new).

Oregon and Denver seem to prefer nontrads from what I've seen.

OP
MrLahey

MrLahey

Trailer Park Supervisor
Nov 2, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks, I've been busy. I will check those schools out in MSAR, but I'm assuming you are recommending them because I'm in the ball-park of their stats.

1.As for my small reach schools, do they seem to be accurately listed?

2.Honestly I just want to get in to medical school and as far as I can tell I think I will have my best chance with U of A (both campuses) especially since they are planing on adding 30-40 more seats. I hoping my chances in-state are fairly high, but does it look like my stats are good enough to get in pre-waitlist?

3. People on SDN have said mayo looks for applicants not based primarily on numbers, yet MSAR has their numbers extremely high. Is it accurate, that if you have average numbers the care more about your EC's? I ask because I have worked with the mayo clinic before, and that is where I wrote my 5 publishings.

4. Ideally I would like to be accepted anywhere prior to 2nd semester of next year, because I will be able to graduate with my bio degree next year, but if I'm not accepted I will go 5 years and double major in my majors list above. If I knew before January I would not have to continue to take engineering classes in the spring. Do you need to have stellar stats to be accepted before January or if I were to get in without being on a waitlist, I would know because I'm applying so early?

5. Will listing both majors, but getting my engineering degree in 5 years as a back up hurt me in my interviews? I plan on telling them I wanted to be prepared in case I did not get accepted anywhere.

Thanks so much for everyones input. I know it's hard to guess chances, but any thoughts are appreciated

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Camp SDN: The Place for Summer Fun
I'm assuming you are recommending them because I'm in the ball-park of their stats.

1.As for my small reach schools, do they seem to be accurately listed?

2.Honestly I just want to get in to medical school and as far as I can tell I think I will have my best chance with U of A (both campuses) especially since they are planing on adding 30-40 more seats. I hoping my chances in-state are fairly high, but does it look like my stats are good enough to get in pre-waitlist?

3. People on SDN have said mayo looks for applicants not based primarily on numbers, yet MSAR has their numbers extremely high. Is it accurate, that if you have average numbers the care more about your EC's? I ask because I have worked with the mayo clinic before, and that is where I wrote my 5 publishings.

4. Ideally I would like to be accepted anywhere prior to 2nd semester of next year, because I will be able to graduate with my bio degree next year, but if I'm not accepted I will go 5 years and double major in my majors list above. If I knew before January I would not have to continue to take engineering classes in the spring. Do you need to have stellar stats to be accepted before January or if I were to get in without being on a waitlist, I would know because I'm applying so early?

5. Will listing both majors, but getting my engineering degree in 5 years as a back up hurt me in my interviews? I plan on telling them I wanted to be prepared in case I did not get accepted anywhere.
Yes, I suggested those schools based on your 3.5/32 stats.

1) For small reach, I'd have suggested Loma Linda, Loyola, RFU, UKentucky, Creighton, Albany, SUNY Downstate, Hofstra (new), Jefferson, MCW, with the bolded ones being on your lists.

2) Yes, theoretically. The median AZ acceptee stats are 3.7/30. Your nice MCAT score compensates for the lower cGPA. Your ECs, though are what makes it most likely you'd get an outright acceptance, IMO (if you interview well).

3) Your cGPA and BCPM GPAs are both below Mayo's bottom tenth percentile. To my mind the 1-9th %tile niche is more likely to be filled with applicants that satisfy some diverse niche that adcomms want to see represented in the upcoming class.

4) Sorry, I can't be reassuring on this point. An an early application won't necessarily garner an early interview. Read through last year's school specific Arizona thread in Pre-Med Allo and see what happened last cycle.

5) Majors and minors are irrelevant. Time spent in the undergrad years is irrelevant. Try to think of a more elegant answer for, "What will you do if you are not accepted anywhere?" along the lines of, "I will continue to improve my application and reapply next year."

OP
MrLahey

MrLahey

Trailer Park Supervisor
Nov 2, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for the help