Advice on my stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hammoudeh71

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear colleagues, i need ur honest advice about my stats, specially from the one who got into the admissions process for this year, whether accepted or not

NBDE 1: 93 (old format:2004)
toefl: 106
ECE: 3.3
Experience: 7 years experience as general practitioner (5 years in Jordan, 2 Years in SAUDI ARABIA), NO US experience

What do u think are my chances for getting acceptance for the 2011 cycle in different dental schools? By the way, i have registered for a retake of part 1, and after studying for a month or so, i decided not to go for it, becuz i contacted almost all of dental schools, and most of them told me that they r cancelling their requirement for the 5 years validity of part 1 as with the new ADA regulations not allowing a retake...

plz tell me what u think, and is there anything more that i need to work on?

Members don't see this ad.

Dear colleagues, i need ur honest advice about my stats, specially from the one who got into the admissions process for this year, whether accepted or not

so, i decided not to go for it, becuz i contacted almost all of dental schools, and most of them told me that they r cancelling their requirement for the 5 years validity of part 1 as with the new ADA regulations not allowing a retake...

If above information is 100 % correct then i would say go ahead with
1). Part 2 , with full prepration
2). prepare for practical exams.
3). Volunteer Work in US

You will be in, in next 12 months, friend, i assume.

Moreover preparing for Part 2 and practicals will not hurt at all, though, it will be helpful during the program.

Best Wishes and Good luck:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
thank u kal ka dentist for the reply. But do i really need part 2 right now? i mean r my stats weak? cuz honestly i am currently working 10 hours a day and u cant imagine the relief i felt after having to stop studying for part 1...

And yes, i am 100% sure of this info, i still have their emails.The only schools that didnt give me a definite answer is BU, UPENN, and UCSF. Those 3 told me to wait cuz my case is not unique and they r still discussing this issue with the admissions committee and that they will get back to me when they decide.

guys... u used to be much more helpful in the past :(

I wonder if you have to retake NBDE Part I since it was in 2004. Some schools now require to have NBDE part I taken within 3-5 years. Anyone ?

I wonder if you have to retake NBDE Part I since it was in 2004. Some schools now require to have NBDE part I taken within 3-5 years. Anyone ?

Thats exactly my point. That was the requirement before, but i contacted them recently since the new ADA regulations prevent me from retaking the exam if i passed it before (even in 2004). I didnt tell them that i am already registered for a retake! All of the schools other than the ones i mentioned earlier told me that i can apply with this score and that they are changing and updating their requirement concerning this thing. (i didnt contact the schools that need both part 1 and 2). I am just worried that new scores will still have more privileges for consideration than mine..On the other hand, what if i retake and screw up? i will regret retaking it for the rest of my life!

you have excellent credentials and i see no reason why you should not get into any program..
good luck :)

you have excellent credentials and i see no reason why you should not get into any program..
good luck :)

Now thats what makes me feel better! i am just worried that, even when schools tell me that they'll accept my scores, they still prefer more recent scores which could reflect on my chances (Though they never told me that!). At the same time i am too scared to retake and ruin what i achieved b4

nooo their is nothing like recent scores or old scores..at the end they need a good score..
go, get confident and stop worrying :D

Now thats what makes me feel better! i am just worried that, even when schools tell me that they'll accept my scores, they still prefer more recent scores which could reflect on my chances (Though they never told me that!). At the same time i am too scared to retake and ruin what i achieved b4

It is good that you are very reflective about yourself.:rolleyes:

You have to set your priorities, my friend.

Sorry for the offence ! What is more important?
To work 10 hours a day or study 10 hour a day to prepare for part 2 and prepare for practical.

If you get good scores in part 2, do you think evaluators will still think about the word "OLD Pattern" for part 1 ? :cool:

I would suggest you to direct your energies in the right direction, if you want to get a result in coming years.

What is the reason??? That you have not selected with such a good score in the past...may be luck or something more than that… think about that.:confused:

I understand the financial points also... look for alternatives to meet financial needs and focus on your studies.:idea:

Direct all of your energies towards your profession if you want to get in.
Otherwise your scores will be considered as stale, if you have not done something more to add to your resume.

I do not know all you circumstances but I am writing and suggesting all this because you have asked for it and to motivate you but not to discourage and hurt you. Hope, you better understand that.

Your destination is very close to you.

I will pray for you, my friend and you do so too.:xf::xf:

Good luck !:thumbup::thumbup:

Dr37 thanks alot for ur support, Kal ka dentist thanks to u too, and offense not taken..

The reason was not about bad luck, it was that i didnt apply in the 1st place because i had emergent family circumstances at the time after which i could not leave my country...

i never said that i'm not willing to work on my resume or sth. And its not about choosing to work or to study (Though i am a married man who's already in debt, and that the money i am investing in the dental school thing is only paid by those working hours!). My question was only that where do i stand with those stats regardless of part 2..

Actually i have both part 1 and part 2 materials in hand, and i just dunno which one to pick and read..its overwhelming

Thanks again guys

NBDE 1: 93 (old format:2004)
toefl: 106
ECE: 3.3
Experience: 7 years experience as general practitioner (5 years in Jordan, 2 Years in SAUDI ARABIA), NO US experience

What do u think are my chances for getting acceptance for the 2011 cycle in different dental schools? By the way, i have registered for a retake of part 1, and after studying for a month or so, i decided not to go for it, becuz i contacted almost all of dental schools, and most of them told me that they r cancelling their requirement for the 5 years validity of part 1 as with the new ADA regulations not allowing a retake...

You have and excellent resume. go for it. believe me that you can get in to the school even more easy that you can imagine. Just apply early and to many schools. enhance your chance by doing this

Thanks alot zaichik.. In fact thats exactly the plan, to apply as early as possible and to all dental schools in the U.S that have such a thing called advanced standing or international dentist program!