Advice on Personal Adversity Question in Secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nexus40

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I just got a late secondary app and I'm having a dilemma with a question involving a personal challenge/adversity I have faced in my life.

I have two essays pre-prepared for this: one focused on the loss of a student club election, and one on overcoming a speech impediment. In my opinion, they are both well-written.

I feel the speech impediment essay is a more personal and profound statement, but it might reveal too much about me (this was a pretty dark chapter in my life). The election loss one reveals the right amount, but I feel it's much more normal and stands out less.

Which one would you all go with?

Members don't see this ad.

The second one. You can moderate what you choose to disclose so as not to be too revealing.

The first one could easily come across as being entitled and isn't nearly as profound.

Reactions: 1 users
"I didn't win club president" is comically first-world-problem. Talk about overcoming the impediment. Don't mention any clinical diagnosis of depression/GAD/whatever else that accompanied that period though, just talk about it as a personal struggle.