Advice on physiology please!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jellygreen2001

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

we started physiology a while ago and I really don't seem to be getting it. I did good good in anatomy and biochem but physiology is really tough for me. I think it is because I am good at memorizing things and physiology is so much more conceptual. There are so many graphs and I just have a really tough time understanding them and putting everything together. Does anyone have an advice for me about studying or how I should be approaching this subject or any good resources

Thanks in advance:) :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

we started physiology a while ago and I really don't seem to be getting it. I did good good in anatomy and biochem but physiology is really tough for me. I think it is because I am good at memorizing things and physiology is so much more conceptual. There are so many graphs and I just have a really tough time understanding them and putting everything together. Does anyone have an advice for me about studying or how I should be approaching this subject or any good resources

Do problems.

For me, phys is kind of like calculus and general chemistry in undergrad. You certainly need to understand the material (costanza is a great text for this... the full one at least. I'm not a fan of the costanza brs.) But to translate your knowledge to exam performance, do problems (old tests, question books, whatever.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Physiology is really a tough cookie considering that it's math-chem-physics combo, but it's one turf that some have learned to love through time. Be patient. Don't get intimidated with the graphs, these are just visuals to further illustrate a physiologic principle. Try to form a small group, or a study-buddy, and work together. Don't be afraid to ask questions from your peers or from your lecturer.

Which topic in Physio that you just had a hard time understanding?
Some of us here might be able to help. :)

do lots of problems (BRS Physio is great)

you need to get it down pat to understand pathophys next year and boards

one little trick - i love equations, and physio was chock full of them. when exams asked about scenarios, i would plug numbers mirroring the scenario into the equations, and would hence figure out what happens. helped for respiratory, cardio, and vascular physio

do lots of problems (BRS Physio is great)

you need to get it down pat to understand pathophys next year and boards

one little trick - i love equations, and physio was chock full of them. when exams asked about scenarios, i would plug numbers mirroring the scenario into the equations, and would hence figure out what happens. helped for respiratory, cardio, and vascular physio

BRS physiology probably has questions that are way easier than what you would see on your test... i would recommend BRS physiology cases and problems. Really good.

Physiology is really a tough cookie considering that it's math-chem-physics combo, but it's one turf that some have learned to love through time. Be patient. Don't get intimidated with the graphs, these are just visuals to further illustrate a physiologic principle. Try to form a small group, or a study-buddy, and work together. Don't be afraid to ask questions from your peers or from your lecturer.

Which topic in Physio that you just had a hard time understanding?
Some of us here might be able to help. :)

Not all the time, in our CV phys block we had to really really know the graphs cold, much of our test was about graphs. Just a heads up because I bombed that test precisely because I thought the graphs were just there to illustrate the concepts. Check with your upperclassmen, they can usually tell you alot about a specific proff's testing preferences to help you know what to focus on.

Correct. You can't get away with graphs especially when concepts and terms are graph-based like a shift to the left or right, normal curve, or a plateu or what have you. You really have to know them, but again don't get intimidated. In fact, graphs help you visualize what's going on physiologically. Agree, ask the upperclassmen. :)

Hi everyone,

physiology was hard for me too.initially its because anatomy takes much of the time tho physiology requires more attention and linking and connections...because the body systems are linked.

I did my first years physiology from guyton...the respiratory,cell,tansport,GIT,blood esp is well written and CVSwhere as now in second year i am using a combination of books...i am doing endo from guyton so far ....the basic idea behing understanding physiology is that choose the book you are comfortable with and is easy read..plus just like physics it is very essential to test your knowledge....so pick up guyton mcq as well..the best way of learning however remains discussions.....so try discussing whatever you have done with people who dont waste your time.plus try to atleast read or go through whatever is tought in lectures just a reading can help.so you dont have to rush thro it before the test and miss out on important points.so good luck!