Advice on picking undergrad school

Bella.Goth

May 6, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
    I’m not very big on name brand schools - I’m only planning on applying to schools that offer (automatic) full rides based on my current stats. Most of the schools in my list are lower tier HBCUs. From what I understand, your undergrad doesn’t matter as long as you can get plenty of research, volunteering, and clinical experience in. I worry that if I go to one of the more rural schools on my list or one that doesn’t have a lot of research opportunities, I won’t be very competitive.

I’m going in as a bio major. At most of the schools, I’ll come in with about 30 credits through AP classes (but I’m iffy on using all of them). I also understand that, in some cases, going to undergrad in a different state may give you a slight boost for OOS med school applications. Is this true?

School A (Alabama)
    Pros
    • Can maintain (auto) full ride with a 3.0
    • Research opportunities seem plentiful
    • Honors college (not sure if this is that big of a pro, but I'll list it here)
    • In a city
    Cons
    • Small, somewhat unsafe city
    • No established pre med assistance organization

School B (Alabama)
    Pros
    • Can maintain (auto) full ride with a 3.2
    • Pre med assistance group (with MCAT tutoring and exclusive(?) volunteering opportunities
    • Research opportunities seem plentiful
    • Small (about 2,000ish students)
    Cons
    • About 45 minutes away from the nearest city (and I can't have a car until sophomore year)
    • According to a mock semester by semester schedule, I would have to take 17 credit hours every semester until senior year????
    School C (Texas)
    Pros
    • Can maintain (auto) full ride with a 3.2
    • Very nice facilities
    • Pre med assistance group (MCAT tutoring and slight boost for IS med schools... not sure what else it entails)
    • Honors program
    • Research opportunities plentiful (has more in depth info about undergrad volunteering than other schools)
    Cons
    • 45 minutes away from the nearest city on a good day (and I can't have a car until sophomore year)
    • Closest hospital is 30 minutes away

School D (West Virginia)
    Pros
    • Nice facilities
    • In a city
    • Honors college
    • Pre med assistance group (MCAT tutoring and networking)
    Cons
    • Little mention of undergrad research
    • No mention of what GPA is necessary to maintain full ride (isn't automatic)
    School E (Mississippi)
    Pros
    • Nice facilities
    • Pre med assistance group
    • Research opportunities available
    • In a city
    Cons
    • No mention of what it takes to maintain scholarship (isn't automatic)
    School F (Virginia - In State)
    Pros
    • Close to home
    • Plenty of research opportunities
    • Attached to a med school
    • In a large city
    • Pre med assistance available
    Cons
    • Most expensive - will probably end up costing somewhere between $7k - $11k per year
    • Not competitive for its BS/MD program, which is where it gets a lot of its students

About the Ads
    This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
    2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
    3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
    4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
    5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
    6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
    7. This thread is locked.