Advice on Post-Bacc Pre-Medical Programs In Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dan 313

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I would like to thank everyone who would be willing to contribute their advice about this topic. If this thread has been made in the past please refer me to any links for more information. I graduated from Dominican University with a 3.1 GPA in Biology with a minor in Chemistry. I was heavily involved in Biochemistry research that lasted a year with the director of the physical science program. I was also a Teaching Assistant for several science courses such as general chemistry, organic chemistry, Analytical Chemistry. All of the professors have guaranteed to write me a recommendation letter. I have not taken the MCAT yet as I know my GPA is not the best. Does anyone know of any Post-Bacc pre-med programs or grad school programs that are best suited for me? I would also appreciate advice on any post-bacc programs that have a good admission rate to MD/DO schools. My overall goal is to eventually go to an MD/DO school

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
I would like to thank everyone who would be willing to contribute their advice about this topic. If this thread has been made in the past please refer me to any links for more information. I graduated from Dominican University with a 3.1 GPA in Biology with a minor in Chemistry. I was heavily involved in Biochemistry research that lasted a year with the director of the physical science program. I was also a Teaching Assistant for several science courses such as general chemistry, organic chemistry, Analytical Chemistry. All of the professors have guaranteed to write me a recommendation letter. I have not taken the MCAT yet as I know my GPA is not the best. Does anyone know of any Post-Bacc pre-med programs or grad school programs that are best suited for me? I would also appreciate advice on any post-bacc programs that have a good admission rate to MD/DO schools. My overall goal is to eventually go to an MD/DO school

In northern Illinois, I know of at least five SMP’s:
- Loyola MAMS
- Loyola MSMP
- UIC
- Benedictine (DO linkage)
- Midwestern (DO linkage)

I’m sure there are probably more.

Have you taken any other admissions exams (GRE, DAT, etc.)? For most, if not all, of these programs, you need to have a standardized test score in order to apply.

You can follow this link to search for programs and look at their websites to see requirements, outcomes, deadlines, etc.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for all the help. I am taking a year off to pay off some student loans while also volunteering/ shadowing before applying to any of these programs. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got accepted! I can't seem to find much info on this program and am wondering if its worth the money or not. I'm a pre-dental student who has around a 2.9 gpa and needs to raise it. Has anyone had any luck in this program?

I just got accepted! I can't seem to find much info on this program and am wondering if its worth the money or not. I'm a pre-dental student who has around a 2.9 gpa and needs to raise it. Has anyone had any luck in this program?
Congrats! Which program did you get into?