V. Taylor

15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Status
I feel pretty discouraged right now...20 schools, and no good news so far. And I am really sick of being waitlisted. My spirits are pretty low, and I'm not sure if I'll get in anywhere. On that note, do you guys know which post bac. programs are good ones to look into? Which ones guarantee you a spot in their med. school for the following year? I'm not a disadvantaged student nor do I need to complete my premed. requirements. I'm looking for a postbac. enrichment program. (I have a 3.5 overall, and 30 mcat) Any advice would be appreciated!

winstonm

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 2, 2003
Visit site
Status
V. Taylor said:
I feel pretty discouraged right now...20 schools, and no good news so far. And I am really sick of being waitlisted. My spirits are pretty low, and I'm not sure if I'll get in anywhere. On that note, do you guys know which post bac. programs are good ones to look into? Which ones guarantee you a spot in their med. school for the following year? I'm not a disadvantaged student nor do I need to complete my premed. requirements. I'm looking for a postbac. enrichment program. (I have a 3.5 overall, and 30 mcat) Any advice would be appreciated!
Check columbia. I'm not sure if it's for people who already did their science prereqs, but the stats I saw on the website at one point indicated that the program did well in placing participants in med schools, including P&S.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
V. Taylor said:
Post-Bacc:

Oklahoma State University-Center for Health Sciences

University of North Texas-Health Science Center

midwesternguy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2005
Back in the Midwest
Status
V. Taylor said:
Apparently BU has one as well. A friend of mine from home is in it now, and likes it, but says it is pretty competitive. They don't necessarily guarantee people spots in their school, but place like 85% of their graduates in Allopathic schools. The only downside is that it is somewhat pricey, and it's in Boston, which is wicked pricy.

chitown82

10+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
midwesternguy said:
Apparently BU has one as well. A friend of mine from home is in it now, and likes it, but says it is pretty competitive. They don't necessarily guarantee people spots in their school, but place like 85% of their graduates in Allopathic schools. The only downside is that it is somewhat pricey, and it's in Boston, which is wicked pricy.
that stat is misleading...check out the post-bac forum for info on BU. some love it and some hate it.

llort

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2004
Not California
Status
V. Taylor said:
vtaylor,
if you have a 3.5/30, it is not your academics that be keeping you out. taking more classes would be a waste of time. do something fun for a year then reapply. also apply to DO schools

samedicine

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2005
Miami
Status
I did a post-bac at the University of Miami in hopes of improving my BCPM gpa. I decided to make things as difficult as possible for myself, so I took 18 hrs of heavy science and worked six nights a week in a sleep lab. My gpa didn't skyrocket after only one semester, but people reading my file sure as hell knew that I was willing and able to challenge myself. The point is, do something that will push you to your limits. It's up to you to decide what those limits are, but make sure you decide on a course of action that will make your determination and character apparent and impossible to ignore.

ajt2003

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2004
Status
Just to chime in...

Columbia's really for students who have NOT yet taken the prerequisites - taking the same classes at a different institution isn't as impressive as getting a Master's - like Georgetown and BU offer.