Advice on preparing for next cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

student4life0800

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have had 4 II so far with one more to go, and have been waitlisted at 2 with 2 to hear back from. Hopefully I am jumping the gun, but I am trying to get ready for next cycle if I don't get in.

3.5 GPA MCAT: 32 then 38

Volunteering:
-Youth group leader (boy scouts, etc.) 70 hrs
-OR Volunteer 30 hrs

Shadowing:
-110 hrs w/ family practice, pediatrics, ophthalmology, and emergency medicine

Clinical Experience:
-Pediatric Hospital Volunteer 180hrs
-Pediatric Pre Operation Class 20hrs

Research:
-2 years of research including working on a meta analysis, no pub.

Work:
-Custodian for 1 yr
-Cafeteria Supervisor for a summer
-Teaching Assistant in Biology for 3 semesters
-Private Tutor and later MCAT tutor for 2 yrs

I have a phlebotomy certification and was thinking of trying to get a job for some more clinical experience. I was also thinking of volunteering at a boys and girls club or a homeless shelter.

Anything that sticks out as a weakness to address or something that you would recommend doing?

Members don't see this ad.

You may get more II's this cycle. Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 users
You have 4 II... Your app is fine (school list could always be critiqued. With 4 II, it's on you to turn one into an acceptance

Members don't see this ad :)
You have 4 II... Your app is fine (school list could always be critiqued. With 4 II, it's on you to turn one into an acceptance
I definitely agree and have been working on my interviewing because I do think it is a weakness. However, if worst comes to worst I would like to be prepared for next cycle.

I definitely agree and have been working on my interviewing because I do think it is a weakness. However, if worst comes to worst I would like to be prepared for next cycle.

I would say just continue doing things you are passionate about.. Your app is pretty solid, if I were to nitpick I would say add some Some volunteering for others (homeless shelter, hospice, etc)

Reactions: 1 user
If you want a critique, you're a bit light on non-clinical service to others. But the multiple WLs are basically saying you may have trouble with interviews but don't think a WL=rejection. You have quite a bit of time yet, just see what happens. (Meaning, don't assume you'll have to reapply).

If you need a job, definitely go for phlebotomy, since you'll be getting paid. But as I said, find an organization that isn't clinically related and start volunteering.

But for reapp, make sure your mcat scores arent expired next year. 2014 was the end of the old test so be weary of school policies on mcat scores, because you might have to retake it in the worst case scenario.

Reactions: 1 user
If you want a critique, you're a bit light on non-clinical service to others. But the multiple WLs are basically saying you may have trouble with interviews but don't think a WL=rejection. You have quite a bit of time yet, just see what happens. (Meaning, don't assume you'll have to reapply).

If you need a job, definitely go for phlebotomy, since you'll be getting paid. But as I said, find an organization that isn't clinically related and start volunteering.

But for reapp, make sure your mcat scores arent expired next year. 2014 was the end of the old test so be weary of school policies on mcat scores, because you might have to retake it in the worst case scenario.

I was trying to figure out if my scores expire. I took my 38 the end of January 2015. From what I can tell it depends on the school. I'll definitely look in to doing some non clinical volunteering.

interview prep and practice