1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Advice on pursueing dental school

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by AMC73, Jul 29, 2015.

1. AMC73

I'm new to this forum. So bare with me.
    I'm 19 and I recently graduated welding at a local vocational school. I've been trying to get into the oil pipe welding feild for some time now and seems to me you have to really know someone in that line a work to even get a chance to work. Plus sometimes you have to do a 5 year apprenticeship to even get a full time pipe welding job in many cases. Good thing about oil pipe welding is that with your own rig you can make around 40 to 50$ an hour. But you work10 to 14 hours a day sometimes 7 days a week. Making 150,000 and sometimes 200,000$ a year. Always gone from home... When there's work. Now that being said I have put some thought into going to college and pursueing dentistry, I love dentistry and although I did not do very well in high school because I slacked off and I do not have a high act score. Is there any chance of me being successful in pursueing dentistry? Im a smart guy I just slacked off in highschool. I've changed now. I would like to major in business then go to dental school. I know starting salaries are not much different then a pipe welding in the oil feild but would the 7 years or more be worth it just to be able to stay home and work less hours a week in a better environment and MAYBE one day opening up my own practice. Is it hard to find a dentistry job? I would be willing to travel anywhere. I just don't want to work 7 days a week and live in a hotel room my whole life welding and plus I can't seem to get into the pipe oil feild at all..I love welding don't get me wrong but I also love dentistry and willing to learn.. So I need advice
    THANK YOU!

2. free99

Moderator Dentist 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Welcome to the forums. In the "sticky" section of the pre-dental board you will find a guide to dental school written by one of our members, doc toothache. That is a good place to start.

Moving to pre-dental.

DetermineDent likes this.
  3. gatsby121

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    for sure there is hope. i graduated high school with a 2.4 GPA and got a 19 on the ACT. When i got into college i buckled down and did well. Dental schools do not care about your higbschool GPA or ACT score. start fresh and be serious with your studies from this point on and you will accomplish your goals.

4. Saddleshoes

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    When I was 19 I was in the same boat you are in now. Here is my advice...

Go to college and start working on your dental school requirments. At the same time do the welding thing. Make sure you get a "real" full time pipeline job every summer. After 2-3 years you will KNOW which is the best way to go. In the mean time you can be makeing some cash and learning real world/practical skills.

I don't know where you live but around me, it is a lot harder to find a good welder then it is to find any kind of dentist. (I have never known an unemployed welder but I have know a few unemployed dentists!)

5. AMC73

Thank you all for the reply! This helps me out, I will be shadowing a dentist soon and i live in Eastern Kentucky and there's plenty of pipeline jobs in Pennsylvania and Ohio it's just hard hard hard to get on if you don't know anyone lol it's a struggle