Advice on Pursuing Research Opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drcivil

Reaction score
Recently, I have been looking to gain some research experience. Luckily there is a research institute close by that provides the opportunity to work with a mentor on a volunteer basis. It is the responsibility of the student to find a mentor.

Seeing as I have no experience in research I am curious what to expect when looking for a mentor. I have sent a few emails out and have not received any responses. I know it is a busy time of year and the researchers tend to have busy schedules but am I approaching this is in the right way? I feel like a telemarketer cold calling people at dinner time. Should I follow up my emails with a phone call if I don't get a response or just move on to the next person on the list and hope they answer? Just curious if anyone has a similar experience/advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Do any professors at your university conduct research? You could look up the research they do and go intoxicating their office hours to talk about it and ask if you could do any work for them. Yo uniform start on something small then move up. You may get turned down a few times but it’ll pay off.

Do any professors at your university conduct research? You could look up the research they do and go intoxicating their office hours to talk about it and ask if you could do any work for them. Yo uniform start on something small then move up. You may get turned down a few times but it’ll pay off.

Currently I am out of school and when I as in school I was a non-trad. So I guess that ship has sailed lol. But thanks for the input