Advice on quitting sucky gap year job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ronaldweasley223

Reaction score
Removed for privacy

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
having to commute 3+ hour each way is probably a good enough explanation as to why you quit IMO.

if it is impacting your health I would probably look for a different job

Reactions: 2 users
Quitting a menial job 1.5 hours away is not a red flag. A repeated pattern of quitting jobs after just a few months (3+ times or so) would be more worrisome. What made you decide to take the job in the first place?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do keep in mind that you are under no obligation to list this job on your application. I'd say this goes double if you don't expect to get a decent LOR from the PI. If you have other research, you can just leave it off. Or you can explain, if asked, that the commute was stressful and you chose to get a job closer to home.

Reactions: 1 users
Do keep in mind that you are under no obligation to list this job on your application. I'd say this goes double if you don't expect to get a decent LOR from the PI. If you have other research, you can just leave it off. Or you can explain, if asked, that the commute was stressful and you chose to get a job closer to home.
Ohh okay that make sense! I have lots of other research so I think I will leave this off! Thank you so much for your help.

having to commute 3+ hour each way is probably a good enough explanation as to why you quit IMO.

if it is impacting your health I would probably look for a different job
Yup, definitely is impacting my physical AND mental health. I am formally resigning next week. Thanks so much! I feel much better about it now.

Quitting a menial job 1.5 hours away is not a red flag. A repeated pattern of quitting jobs after just a few months (3+ times or so) would be more worrisome. What made you decide to take the job in the first place?
Ok phew, this is my first time quitting a job. I took the job because I was promised so many opportunities, but they slowly took them away one by one. And the environment is extremely toxic!

Thanks for your help! I feel better now that I know that it is not a red flag.

Reactions: 3 users