Advice on recommendations? What did you guys do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anbuitachi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I need 3 letters of recommendation to submit to my schools committee so they can send out a combined letter. But right now I have no one to ask. I don't know any professors cause all the lectures are huge. A lot of the smaller classes I've taken were ran by TAs. My job supervisor for some reason really hates me (people think shes sexist).

I can MAYBE ask for a recommendation from my coworker at work (postdoc).

Any advices? How did you guys approach your professors in those big lectures? Some people told me to go to office hours to chat with professors but I'm pretty sure office hours are meant to for help in the class.. (Kinda weird to just walk in and be like, hey prof, lets chat!, while people behind you are waiting for help)

Members don't see this ad.

from what i understand, some professors who have big lectures just use one generic letter for all the students. "_____ received a grade of __ this in my class....i believe that they will make a great addition to the medical community".

What about research PIs?

It is better to build a gradual relationship with the professor. Tried chatting after class?

Members don't see this ad :)
go for life advice. Seriously. Talk to them about everything, alot of profs enjoy talking, and being mentors. You don't have to worry too much about just the school if you're doing fine. Think about it: if your a prof, and no one ever shows up to your office hours. When they do, all they talk abuot is stuff that they should have picked up by simply reading the material, and the students just ask you to learn for them.

Frankly, students who just show up to talk would be quite refreshing :)

I got to know plenty of profs over the years in lectures 400+. You can def do it with some desire to get advice :)

You could check if a prof is willing to co-sign a TA's letter but I'm not sure how that would work out. That is a sucky situation to be in and I completely empathize. I was lucky to be in 2 smaller classes taught by great professors and I worked in a research lab with a great PI, which was just enough to get letters of recs for my Masters program.

Isn't there anyone else at your job that will write you an lor? Did you only work with this one supervisor?

Also, have you done any shadowing or volunteer work? Volunteer coordinators are usually so grateful for a good volunteer that they readily agree to an lor. On top of the volunteer coordinator, you can ask whoever you work with in the department you are volunteering in--a unit secretary, a nurse...anyone that can attest to your professionalism, intelligence, and enthusiasm.

What about your pre-med advisor? Isn't there any committee that would write a letter?

What also works is an lor from your advisor in whatever you're majoring in. Right now my biology advisor is in the process of writing me one.

As far as your professors are concerned, go visit them several times a week during their office hours...offer to treat them to lunch (on your dime) because you enjoy talking about the class subject.

Good luck!

The office hours are pretty full =( I rarely go to office hours but whenever I do go, its packed...

The research place I work at, I call the lady who hired me and gives me instructions my supervisor. Theres a PhD student there who also gave me instructions (secondary) and helped if I needed help. I rarely see the PI of the lab, even my supervisor says he never steps in the lab, he stays in his office all day. In fact my supervisor rarely steps in the lab unless she wants to give us instructions to do something. It's mostly the PhD student in the lab at first but now shes not there either cause she was doing her thesis.. So the lab is basically a bunch of undergrads (including me).

I believe the premed advisor at our school doesn't write recs.

I want to get one from my advisor but I just submitted request to switch advisors and i didn't hear back yet.. cause my old advisor's office was really farrrr away and he doesn't respond to my emails when i ask to see him =(. he's prob too busy with his research -.-

The office hours are pretty full =( I rarely go to office hours but whenever I do go, its packed...

You can set up a different day and time to meet with the professor. That way, it's guaranteed that you'll be the only student there...unless other students are invited too but that would be weird. Also, in big lectures, there must be something from class that you don't understand and can ask the prof about on a regular basis. And if you are scoring 100's on the exams, ask about stuff that is beyond what you learn in class.

You can set up a different day and time to meet with the professor. That way, it's guaranteed that you'll be the only student there...unless other students are invited too but that would be weird. Also, in big lectures, there must be something from class that you don't understand and can ask the prof about on a regular basis. And if you are scoring 100's on the exams, ask about stuff that is beyond what you learn in class.

good info here :thumbup:

to the OP:

definitely schedule your own appt if many show up to office hours

i usually introduced myself at the beginning of each semester to my professor either after the class or in his office hours early on. i also try to maintain contact with them via email or stopping by their office and talking briefly.

also, forwarding them information pertinent to something they perhaps are instructing shows you are enthusiasm or interest in the topic....they may show more interest in you that way

they may also try to get to know you if you ace their tests. I know my organic professor knew me by first and last name after i got a 110% on our first ochem exam.

just do whatever you can to meet with them....even if it means pretending you have questions on a topic or assignment in the class even if you dont to ask during office hours or a schedule appt (i know its low, but if its the ONLY way, then do it).

In this situation, I think it's all about taking the road of least resistance. There really are smarter ways of going about this than trying to climb over other pre-meds gunning for the same LOR.

Making an individual appointment may work, but realize that the sheer number of requests big lecture profs get means that your letter is probably going to be pretty mediocre.

If you have time (which, unless you're looking for this cycle, I assume you do), sign up for the smallest science class you can next semester/quarter, preferably something lab-based. As the prof:student ratio gets higher, it gets easier and easier to get to know your instructor, which in turn leads to a stronger LOR.

All the science lab classes ive ever taken were taught by TAs =(, I did got to know them a lot better cause its small... If college sends a committee letter, do they also send who the recs were originally from?

I'm no more of an expert than any of the other pre-meds here, but I'd suggest you go for whoever will write you the BEST letters (excluding mom, kid sister, other such obvious no-no writers)

as long as you have a few science profs in there - usually 2 - you're okay. the science prof letters are probably generic for A LOT of people who didnt do lab work. you wont be alone. if need be, get teachers from OTHER classes to explain how special and "mmm-mmm-good" you are.

my science classes are also biggish, but i've taken a few small humanities classes in which everyone inevitably gets to know the prof. I've had 1 such humanities prof write me a letter, and he basically gave me written fellatio. I'll likely ask another humanities prof that i have this semester who seems to like me to write me another.

(side note: humanites profs also seem to care about how their writing sounds, so your LOR will be sprinkled with polysyllabic adjectives devoted to your praise. On the other hand, I've had science profs who can barely even speak the King's...)

Transcripts explain your stats, which are hard, quantifiable measures of your ability. The LORs are supposed to show the softer side of anbuitachi. If you have no science profs who know you, get letters from ones who dont, and compensate for it with letters from others who DO.

i tink best letters would be bettter, unless your professor is pretty darn successful in his field. but i think if you only have 3 letters now, most schools accept up to 5, so u can always submit more than the 3.