Advice on rehabilitation neuropsychology postdoc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bpsydme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background: I am currently an intern at an a VA neuropsychology track and will be graduating from a well-respected Clinical Psych PhD program (one of those frequently mentioned on this forum with a legitimate neuropsychology track). My neuropsych experiences by the end of internship will include medical and VA settings, inpatient and outpatient evaluations, and adult and geriatric patient populations. Therapy experience includes individual and group, CBT (SUD, PTSD, depression, anxiety), ACT, and cog rehab.

Question: One of the clinical 2-year fellowships I have my eyes on is at a rehabilitation hospital, but I'm at a loss regarding what makes someone competitive at these sites. Should I be worried that I don't have prior experience at a rehab clinic? Generally, I would appreciate any advice or insight into what training directors look for when reviewing postdoc applicants at rehab settings.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I just finished the post-doc application process with a focus on exactly these types of sites, so I'm sure our lists overlap (there aren't many programs). I had some rehab experience on internship (assessment only, no cog rehab), so I think this helped, but I certainly do not think it's required. Many folks I interviewed with at well-known rehab sites did not-- it seemed-- have any rehab neuro experience. I would say that inpatient exposure is beneficial, though.

If you don't have a clear rehab background, you will certainly be questioned on "why rehab?" It's not for everyone. I came from a highly regarded neuropsych internship track, and was told, "so we know you are well trained in neuropsych, but I'm not sure what they do for rehab over there." So articulating this in your letter and your interview is important. Not everyone can have rehab experience, and I think most sites understand this. But you cannot cringe at the thought of therapy and you have to be well versed in answering functional questions, as well as working with a team and integrating findings.

Feel free to PM if you have more questions.