Advice on Reserves/National Guard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedNole

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a recent med school graduate doing getting ready to start a residency in ortho. I've always wanted to be in the military but never joined for whatever reason. I'd like to have a practice after residency & fellowship, so I'm only considering reserves or the guard. None of my friends or family have any experience with military medicine, so this forum (and recruiters) is pretty much where I'm getting ALL of my infomration. The financial incentives don't matter to me, but commitment time is important as is whether or not they will (or have a history of) pulling residents/fellows out of training. Learning to fly (if it's even a possibility) would be a huge plus. So, if you had to join a branch of the reserves or Guard today, which would it be? Like I said, I'm doing this pretty much just to serve the country so financial incentives are only minimally important. Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a recent med school graduate doing getting ready to start a residency in ortho. I've always wanted to be in the military but never joined for whatever reason. I'd like to have a practice after residency & fellowship, so I'm only considering reserves or the guard. None of my friends or family have any experience with military medicine, so this forum (and recruiters) is pretty much where I'm getting ALL of my infomration. The financial incentives don't matter to me, but commitment time is important as is whether or not they will (or have a history of) pulling residents/fellows out of training. Learning to fly (if it's even a possibility) would be a huge plus. So, if you had to join a branch of the reserves or Guard today, which would it be? Like I said, I'm doing this pretty much just to serve the country so financial incentives are only minimally important. Thanks for any help!

Do you mind being deployed? Seriously. You don't want to do active duty because you want a practice after training, but it is a BIG hardship on a practice to be deployed. General consensus is, if you don't want the possiblility (nay, the garuntee) of deployment...don't join.

Do you mind being deployed? Seriously. You don't want to do active duty because you want a practice after training, but it is a BIG hardship on a practice to be deployed. General consensus is, if you don't want the possiblility (nay, the garuntee) of deployment...don't join.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I realize that deployment is a real possibility and that it would cause huge headaches for a new practitioner. Even so, after a whole lot of consideration, I am still very interesting in serving in the military in some capacity. Is there another way to serve without risking deployment? (Serious question, because I have no clue whether or not there is). Thanks!

If you want to own your own practice after finishing your residency, don't join the guard or reserves unless you plan on having other physicians working in your practice to help cover the costs of keping the practice going while you were deployed. I have known of a couple individuals (1 physician and 1 dentist) who have lost tens of thousands of dollars and their employees because they had to shut down the practice while they were gone for 6 months to a year because they were called up from the reserves. Think your decision through before jumping into it.

By the way, I am pro-military career and will retire in 2020, so my comments are not based on being disgruntled or upset about the status of military medicine / dentistry.

Thanks a lot for the advice! It's nice to have the opinion of those who have firsthand experience. After residency & fellowship I plan on joining a practice with at least 5-7 orthopods. I don't know if this makes much of a difference. Thanks!