Advice on residency choice

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by winston_smith, Feb 6, 2019.

1. winston_smith

First of all, thank you all for your honest insight into milmed (especially @Gastrapathy, @Homunculus, and @militaryPHYS). It has definitely helped me prepare myself for a lot of crap I've had to deal with and embrace the parts I like. That said, I was hoping to get some insight into my residency planning. I'm an Army MS3 who is on the fence between applying to general surgery and urology. I've done as much research as I can from the outside and I'm worried that because urology is bucket 2 I may be shooting myself in the foot (face?) going down that route. Looking for any advice on how to structure my auditions and if you all think it's worth it applying to urology at all.

Thanks!

2. SirGecko

SirGecko Go Navy
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Others may disagree but I would advise you to apply for what you want to do and not try to guess what the future holds too much with regards to the Army. You will be doing this specialty for the rest of your professional career, you won’t be in the army that long.

3. militaryPHYS

militaryPHYS Ortho Staff
    Moderator Physician Verified Expert Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Agree with @SirGecko . If you are already in the system then use it as much as you can. If you want to be a urologist then apply for urology. Hopefully they are still training Urologists by the time your request goes through. Worst case scenario is they say no and give you your second choice (General Surgery). Never settle for your second choice if #1 is still on the table (for now). If you are a good urology candidate then you are a stellar General Surgery candidate God forbid they cut spots for training in urology between now and your match.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    winston_smith likes this.
  4. Gastrapathy

Gastrapathy no longer apathetic
    Physician Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    My only caveat would be an honest assessment of whether you are competitive for urology (in our out of the .mil).

j4pac, militaryPHYS and winston_smith like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    winston_smith

Thank you all for your replies. Absolutely uro is my #1 choice, but I understand the ****ery that comes along with being in the military so I wanted to ask. I appreciate the support. @Gastrapathy numbers wise I compare well to previous applicants and the one army PD I spoke to was encouraging me to apply... that said I am always happy to hear if a more objective view of my candidacy if you have time :help::bow:

6. Gastrapathy

Gastrapathy no longer apathetic
    Physician Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    if a PD says you are competitive, you think you compare favorably and its what you want to do, then go for it. I don't really think my opinion should outweigh any of that.

7. j4pac

j4pac PM&R resident
    10+ Year Member

Definitely go urology. Don’t need a fellowship to have a great lifestyle and make crazy money. If you like it more...no brainer.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...