Advice on retaking the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hello SDN,

So I took my DAT in August 2015 and these are my scores:

AA 20
TS 20
Bio 20
GC 20
OC 21
RC 22
PAT 23
QR 19

My GPA's are

oGPA 3.48
SGPA 3.57
BCP GPA 3.75
Great upwards trend. 4.00's for the last 3 semesters

If I get straight A's my last semester it will boost my oGPA over a 3.5.

Also I'm a Hawaii resident.

So should I retake the DAT? I really want to get the army HPSP and I will be applying broadly.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow damn 4.0 for 3 semesters in a row. That's an amazing trend and should erase any doubts of your commitment! You must've had a bit of a rough start, I kinda did too. Your DAT is fairly solid and well balanced; the question is do you really think that getting a 22/23 is going to make a big difference on your application? You have nice GPA numbers and considering you've been getting a 4.0 for 1.5 yrs you should be pretty damn competitive in the big picture. Don't stress the DAT too much but it's really your call here and depends on what you want to put yourself through.

You obviously got serious and started to really focus. Your DAT is plenty competitive and your trend in GPA will be easily noticed. I wouldn't put yourself through another DAT. Great job on the hard work, 4.0 for multiple semesters is tough!

Reactions: 1 user
I really don't think you need a retake. For your GPA, your DAT scores are definitely solid and you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everybody for the reassuring encouragement!

I've been so worried about it because I keep seeing people post 22+ scores here on SDN.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Thanks everybody for the reassuring encouragement!

I've been so worried about it because I keep seeing people post 22+ scores here on SDN.
Its huge selection bias. I agree with others, no need for a retake, don't let the crazy SDN scores deter you.

Wow damn 4.0 for 3 semesters in a row. That's an amazing trend and should erase any doubts of your commitment! You must've had a bit of a rough start, I kinda did too. Your DAT is fairly solid and well balanced; the question is do you really think that getting a 22/23 is going to make a big difference on your application? You have nice GPA numbers and considering you've been getting a 4.0 for 1.5 yrs you should be pretty damn competitive in the big picture. Don't stress the DAT too much but it's really your call here and depends on what you want to put yourself through.

Yea I definitely had a rough start because I was a high school drop out. I had to start at a community college with remedial classes :(. It was nothing but hard lessons for me but I've learned A LOT and I've definitely matured during my time in college.

Reactions: 1 user
You obviously got serious and started to really focus. Your DAT is plenty competitive and your trend in GPA will be easily noticed. I wouldn't put yourself through another DAT. Great job on the hard work, 4.0 for multiple semesters is tough!

Yea I was going through a tough transition in the beginning and had no one around me that had the same goals so I decided to stop hanging out with my old high school friends and just focus on getting in dental school.

Reactions: 3 users
Yea I was going through a tough transition in the beginning and had no one around me that had the same goals so I decided to stop hanging out with my old high school friends and just focus on getting in dental school.
It worked out for you! Good choice

Your story sounds similar to mine!