Advice on school list/potential reapplication for international

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ExcitatorySynapse

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied this cycle for MD/PhD and MSTP programs. I received two IIs so far and have been WL-ed at both. For 1, I know what I messed up (this mini-talk I had to give), the other, I dunno. I'm anticipating one publication in a high IF journal that I will be a co-author on somewhat soon, so maybe I can update on that. Regardless, I have decided to assume the worst and plan accordingly.

Summary of 18-19 app:
  • T5 undergrad graduate (3.75c/3.65sGPA). I had a meh last semester (~3.4) because I took several classes + work study + was recovering from a health issue.
  • MCAT: 521 (132/129/131/129).
  • Research at time of application: 3k hours, 3 research LoRs from respected PIs.
  • 50 non-clinical volunteering hours, 40 clinical hours. 20 shadowing hours (two specialties).
  • School list: every MD/PhD program that vaguely seemed to consider Canadians.
  • Several research funding awards, one university award (entrance).
  • I was complete in September due to a late MCAT and just burnout (yes, very foolish).
Gap year:
  • Fellowship conducting translational research at a prestigious institute. So, +2k research hours. Work I am doing could result in a first author publication, so I am willing to go hard for that.
  • I should be on the aforementioned publication from my old work also.
  • I have signed on to volunteer with/for underserved populations and have applied to multiple clinical volunteering opportunities. I will start emailing for additional shadowing as well. I am willing to go as hard as necessary to accumulate the necessary hours.
  • For my second gap year, I am applying to a variety of positions, from clinical research w/ patient contact to unrelated positions.
Questions I have:
How many additional volunteering and shadowing hours should I target to be a viable candidate?
Where should I apply?
Should I consider re-applying to a mix of MD/PhDs and MD only?

Other thoughts:
I will apply to every Canadian school I can (I was wrongly advised that Canadian schools did not like students from my undergrad). I am willing to go MD only as I think the financial burden of training a student in-eligible for a T32 MSTP grant is onerous for many institutions. I am not interested in very basic science research and have been drawn in by more computational and translational work (current). I also feel a responsibility to take care of my family and a PhD would delay that (as would additional gap years). Ultimately, I want to work on therapeutic development, in either an academic or industry context, while continuing to see patients.

I am open to, and would greatly appreciate any insight that you may have! Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this post.

Members don't see this ad.

Your application proved that you wanted to do research but did not prove that you wanted to become a physician. Your EC’s are pretty weak. It seems you spent a lot more time doing research than working with “patients” why not just do a PhD? Otherwise if you want to pursue md you need to slow down the research and get a lot of (200-300 hours) clinical/(2-300)underserved/(50)shadowing. I usually recommend less but you need to balance your app.

Reactions: 3 users
And you should plan to skip an application cycle. There really isn’t anyway you can get the needed ECs in by May so you can apply in June. Why did you apply so late last year?

Reactions: 1 user
I am willing to volunteer 20 hours a week to make up the hours. I think I can handle 60-70 hour weeks (including volunteering) without issue, since I have been working such hours in the past. I can also leave my job earlier and spend some time just volunteering. I really don’t want to waste more time if at possible.

Alternatively, I will grind really hard w/ my research and try to be good enough for MD/PhD programs as an international while adding in a set of MD only schools. This will restrict my gap year job choices, but it is what it is. Perhaps two papers will do it. I think it might be enough in Canada, especially. I will try to speak with my PI so I can concretize my plans. I think I can reasonably do 2 4 hour shifts a week for clinical and I’m already signed on for 3 hours of nonclinical and can find 5 hours more somewhere else.

I applied later because I received my MCAT scores in August and I was moving two times. In terms of clinical stuff last app cycle, I don’t think it’s exceptionally below what many other MD/PhD applicants have. Having known the plight of PhD only researchers, I don’t think it’s a path I’d like to take unless I can do a PhD in mathematics or CS (which, I likely can’t).

Last edited: