Apr 9, 2010
Status
Hi,

I am a 30yr old electrical engineer trying to chance my career to medicine. I am hoping to apply for medical school this year. I graduated from a top engineering school with 3.7 overall, and >3.9 science GPA.

However I did not have to take any biology or organic chemistry courses and currently trying to take a semester in each. Most universities require a year worth of both biology & org. Chemistry. I will not be able to meet this requirement if I am to apply this year, I will be missing one semester in each.

Can anyone tell me if these prereq are "hard and set" rule or just a guide line that can be overcome with good MCAT and GPA scores?

Thanks.

Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract
You must complete the prerequisites before matriculation, not before application, for the vast majority of schools. You will have to prove you completed them with a final transcript to wherever you decide to attend. It is a good idea to complete them before taking the MCAT, but a few self-study experts have reported scoring creditably without the actual coursework. There is generally little OChem II on the MCAT, so you could put your self-study efforts into the Bio II. If you do apply this year, you'd list the intended coursework under future courses, so schools know you intend to take it.

There are a few schools out there that have no prerequisites, so for them, you would not need to take the coursework if one of them happens to be your state school and you only apply to that one institution.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2010
Status
I dont need to take classes to help with my MCAT.

Just to clarify: The prereqs only need to be completed before graduating from med school? Prereqs are not needed for applying to med school?

Thanks for your reply.

Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract
The prerequisites need to be completed before the first day of class begins in a med school that you will attend. So if you apply summer 2010, you'd typically have until August 2011 to get the required coursework completed.