Advice on shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shiba103

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the best way to contact a podiatrist to shadow? Would it be better to call them directly, email them or go down to their office in person? I have a strong interest in the field and would like to further explore it. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know the best way to contact a podiatrist to shadow? Would it be better to call them directly, email them or go down to their office in person? I have a strong interest in the field and would like to further explore it. :)

Go to office in person.

Dress to kill. Have CV/resume in hand. Small talk with the front office ladies and mannerisms to the tee. Charm them.

You can also call in advanced but most places may turn you down/ not have enough time for you during busy hours.

Email took longest with little yield.

Doesn't matter how any offices turn you down. You only need that one that's going to take a chance on you to get what you need. Keep at it even if you get shut down after your 7+ one.

Reactions: 1 user
So in my personal experience, calling worked best. Some people have gotten good results from visiting offices in person, but I think this would depend on the office... the place I shadowed was always busy and would probably tell you to leave your contact information anyways.

I agree with Weirdy in that email has the lowest yield. I didn't get a response from any of the places I tried.

Members don't see this ad :)
(Cold) calling is the best option.

Also another route many people probably don't take advantage of:

- if there's a pod school in your state / city, contact them and tell them you want to shadow. More than likely they'll link you up with former alumni that you can get in touch with. This way when you call up the podiatrist, you can tell him/her your Alma matter gave me your contact info. That sounds slightly better than, "I just googled podiatrists in my area and your name came up "

Word of advice:
I think quality of shadowing is very important. My experiences so far have just been sitting and asking questions. I didn't get to see or watch anything until I posted here and members encouraged me to go back again. Now I'm going back to shadow again so I can actually watch.

So try and discuss that before hand. What will they permit you to see / not see? Will the patients be okay with it?

Have your questions written and show interest!

ask around family, friends see if they've ever been to a podiatrist that they could recommend you call. I feel as if a doctor is more inclined to help if you have a connection with them somehow.