LuckBloodandSweat

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2015
Status
Dental Student
I'm sure some of you guys know me already but if you don't I'm retaking my DAT because I felt my performance was unsatisfactory. I'd like tips on how to stay calm this second time around and actually fall asleep and not sweat buckets again xD. The retake is in less than 2 days. I think I learned from my first test that practice test scores aren't really the best. I guess I'm doubting if I'm better or not and scared I'll make stupid mistakes as I am always furious at my own stupidity when I get easy stuff wrong in practice... Sorry for the rant >:oops:.

Dec 11, 2015
Status
Dental Student
Go out and buy some melatonin. Take it tonight just to test it and make sure it doesn't have any adverse affects, and then again tomorrow night so that you actually get some sleep. I don't take it religiously, just every once in a blue moon if I need to get to bed early and I've got a big day ahead of me. Doesn't work for some people, but definitely helps me. As for staying calm, just trust yourself. You've spent a lot of time getting to this point, so don't think about the possibility of failure. Know that you're gonna go in and come out happy.

OP
LuckBloodandSweat

LuckBloodandSweat

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2015
Status
Dental Student
Thanks! And nice DAT score btw haha. Did you take melatonin before your DAT?

Likkriue

2+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2016
New York City
Status
Dental Student
The best part about bootcamp is how well it simulates the real deal. When I sat down I felt like I was taking another pratice test. I just went along like it was one to calm myself. I also took many breaks for like 30 secs to a minute if I start to get the nervous feeling. one half of the battle during the test is to keep your nerves calm. The other half is taking the damn thing lol.

OP
LuckBloodandSweat

LuckBloodandSweat

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2015
Status
Dental Student
I've done more than my fair share of practice exams haha. Ik how to simulate time and everything. Honestly I'm excited about math because I know I'll cruise through it. I just hope my stupidity doesn't kill me. I want a 30 in math and it's honestly kind of relaxing to finish a section I know I won't be scrambling on at the end xD

Tabasom2012

Future Dr. Dental Superwoman!
5+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2012
Status
Pre-Dental
Go out and buy some melatonin. Take it tonight just to test it and make sure it doesn't have any adverse affects, and then again tomorrow night so that you actually get some sleep. I don't take it religiously, just every once in a blue moon if I need to get to bed early and I've got a big day ahead of me. Doesn't work for some people, but definitely helps me. As for staying calm, just trust yourself. You've spent a lot of time getting to this point, so don't think about the possibility of failure. Know that you're gonna go in and come out happy.
Doesnt that make you drowsy the next day? That is why I am scared to take it. Have you tried it before? I know you need at least 8 hours of sleep to wake up good and ready.

OP
LuckBloodandSweat

LuckBloodandSweat

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2015
Status
Dental Student
I can definitely set aside 8 hrs by going to bed early but I'm a little hesitant to try it at a time like this. Then again I don't want to be sleep deprived and ridiculously nervous and scared of choking again lol. I will always rage at myself ;(

Dec 11, 2015
Status
Dental Student
I can definitely set aside 8 hrs by going to bed early but I'm a little hesitant to try it at a time like this. Then again I don't want to be sleep deprived and ridiculously nervous and scared of choking again lol. I will always rage at myself ;(
That's understandable. That's why I said take it tonight just to see how your body responds to it. I would absolutely not do it for the first time the day before your test. Of course, it's your decision. Take my recommendation with a grain of salt. Good luck!

OP
LuckBloodandSweat

LuckBloodandSweat

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2015
Status
Dental Student
Thanks. I hope I'm worthy of posting a breakdown but I may end up posting a rant instead if i get a 20/21 ;(.

Bersabeh

Dat
2+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2016
Status
Non-Student
I'm sure some of you guys know me already but if you don't I'm retaking my DAT because I felt my performance was unsatisfactory. I'd like tips on how to stay calm this second time around and actually fall asleep and not sweat buckets again xD. The retake is in less than 2 days. I think I learned from my first test that practice test scores aren't really the best. I guess I'm doubting if I'm better or not and scared I'll make stupid mistakes as I am always furious at my own stupidity when I get easy stuff wrong in practice... Sorry for the rant >:oops:.
good luck.

Aug 9, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
I really focused on staying calm and I would say I was about as calm as I could realistically get when I woke up on test day, but once I got to the testing center I started to have inevitable anxiety. One trick I used to cope was to wait out the fifteen minute Prometric tutorial, I just sat there, breathed deeply, and cleared my head out. By the time I got through the bio section I was pretty relaxed.