USMLE Advice on Step 2 CK Retake and 2015 Match

Discussion in 'Step II' started by User746240, 09.25.14.

  1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. User746240

    User746240

    Joined:
    09.25.14
    Messages:
    2
    Status:
    Medical Student
    My situation:
    Passed Step 1 (1st attempt) - 211
    Passed Step 2 CS (2nd attempt)
    Failed Step 2 CK (1st attempt) - 193

    I am a US IMG applying only for Family Medicine. I was unable to obtain a Family Medicine elective due to a lack of open slots and could not find a non-affiliate. I have already applied to 86 Fam Med Programs that have >50% IMG currently in their residency and they see only the Step 1 and Step 2 CS grades so far, no interview requests yet.

    1. Should I withdraw from the match and focus on passing the Step 2 CK, so that I don't fail a second time and not have "failed" a match.
    OR
    2. Should I stay with the match and try to get a passing CK score before Dec. 1st when some of the programs have application deadlines and then apply to another 70+ programs then?
    OR
    3. Stay with the match, apply to 70+ programs that I can be eligible for now, submit my USMLE transcript with the failed CK score included and then retransmit once I get a passing grade?

    Any advice would be great, thank you.
     
    lilsoljah likes this.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. saudades

    saudades 2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    02.16.12
    Messages:
    110
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Hey sorry to hear about this, I'm in the same boat as far as failing CK. One thing I can tell you for sure is DON'T take CK again unless you're sure you can pass, whether that means withdrawing from the match this year or not. Try to figure out the reason you think you failed (running out of time, lack of knowledge base, etc.) and focus on that (that's the advice I was given). I don't see any harm in staying in the match if you know you can pass by Dec. 1, but I don't know if it's "worse" in a program director's eyes to not match the first time around or to take time off and apply next year for the first time. Maybe one of the residents or attendings on here can give some more insight into that. Whatever you decide I think it would be wise to come up with a contingency plan for next year should you either not match or not apply at all--do you have some kind of fail-safe like a job connection or research opportunity, or at least an idea of what you could do in the meantime (maybe something related to family medicine)? Anyway good luck with everything.
     
  4. User746240

    User746240

    Joined:
    09.25.14
    Messages:
    2
    Status:
    Medical Student
    Saudades, thank you so much for your reply. Do you think I should get my name in the application pool early for several more programs now with a failed CK report or wait until my retake to see if I pass or not and then send in more apps? My school's advisor told me they pull more interviews for US IMG's during December and January...
     
  5. saudades

    saudades 2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    02.16.12
    Messages:
    110
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    That's a tough call. Bottom line, the programs will eventually see your CK score. Trust your adviser over me, but it sounds like the programs you've already applied to are the kind that would be most likely to consider your application based on your situation. So now it's a question of whether to apply to these other programs earlier with only a failing score, or apply later with a passing score in hand...honestly I don't know which might land you more interviews. I think I would try to pass first, then apply more widely--if you think you can pass in time. If it's true that IMGs are more likely to get interviews later than that might be more beneficial to you. But again that's just my personal opinion, people at your school might be able to give you more solid answer.
     
    Bronchiectasis likes this.
  6. saudades

    saudades 2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    02.16.12
    Messages:
    110
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    PS, for what it's worth: I'm at a US MD school, but I went ahead and applied with my failing score. I got the score back in August a few weeks before ERAS opened, too soon for me to retake in time. So I am taking it again in a few weeks so that if I do get interviews in November/December (which is the time I have off for interviews) they will either have my new score or I can at least tell them that I retook it already and am awaiting the results.
     
  7. tspowell3

    tspowell3

    Joined:
    03.05.13
    Messages:
    1
    Status:
    Medical Student
    h
     
    Last edited: 02.20.15
  8. misteracey

    misteracey

    Joined:
    09.25.14
    Messages:
    7
    Status:
    Medical Student
    no fun :(
     
    Last edited: 02.20.15
  9. Loser17

    Loser17

    Joined:
    09.27.14
    Messages:
    23
    Hi everyone ,
    I am in a pickle here. I took CS n CK n have not taken step 1 yet! Can anyone who took the exam on saturday tell me whether they got their result by third wednesday?
    I tried scheduling my exam sooner but there is no date avalaible until 10/18 ( sat), i really need the score latest by 11/5( wed).... I know they say if u take the exam between wed to fri it comes on the third wednesday n if u take on monday/tuesdayt comes on the fourth wednesday... There is no accurate data/ post about exam takers on saturdays...
    Please someone who has taken either step 1 or CK on a Saturday please give me accurate info.. Im going crazy here.. Thanks a lot
     
  10. khd2015

    khd2015

    Joined:
    10.01.14
    Messages:
    2
    Status:
    Medical Student
    Hi Guys,
    I'm sorry to hear about the failed step exams. I'm in the same situation. I just found out today that I failed step 2 ck. My score is 208, missing just a point. I also failed step 2 CS but retaking it in November. My step 1 score is 218. I've already submitted my ERAS application and applied to FM programs without my step 2 ck score and with a failed step 2 CS. I feel hopeless and devastated. I talked to my advisor today and she told me to retake Step 2 CK by the end of December. Hopefully some programs will consider granting me an interview without step 2 ck score, but i must have a passing step 2 CK before the ranking. I called some programs that I applied and they said that they would need to see a passing step 2 score before the ranking, but never mentioned interview invitation. I don't know what I should do now. Should I withdraw from 2015 match and focus on my step 2 exams and apply next year? I feel so sad and depressed now. Any help /advise/inputs/recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks
     
    lilsoljah likes this.
  11. Doc2b82

    Doc2b82 2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    06.12.13
    Messages:
    40
    Status:
    Medical Student
    I spoke with ECFMG ERAS support service today and asked about what is actually in the ECFMG status report and they said it includes the dates of when you have taken a particular exam but doesnt contain the score. So if you took the exam and then have submitted your ERAS application programs will know that you have taken the exam. Yea the program wont know what your score is but they will know that you have taken the exam and if you have failed the exam then you obviously wont be able to get ECFMG cert. which basically tells the program that you have infact failed the exam.

    I think programs figure out that you have failed since your "new" status report will show that you have taken an exam and arent eligible for ecfmg cert.

    Of course this applies only to IMGs here and I dont know how this works for US grads.
     
  12. khd2015

    khd2015

    Joined:
    10.01.14
    Messages:
    2
    Status:
    Medical Student
    Hi Doc2b82, thank you so much for taking the time to call ECFMG ERAS. That's good to know what goes in the status report. Some programs know that i have a failed step 2 CS and asked for a step 2 CK score once it becomes available. I haven't retransmitted my transcript and plan on retaking step 2 ck. If I feel like I'm ready 100% I will retake it on time so that my score will be released before the ranking. If not, I will withdraw my application and apply next year so that i have more time to prepare and do well on it. Hope everyone sees my points. Any input or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks
     
    Doc2b82 likes this.

About the ads

Similar Threads
  1. Willamette
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    1,830
  2. sciencegeek1956
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,361
  3. Halitosis
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    2,330
  4. saudades
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,297
  5. katy12
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    2,774
Loading...

Share This Page