Feb 4, 2021
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I am doing a significant summer research program (450+ hours) which I want to include on AMCAS. The program doesn't start until June 1st and I know that the 1st day for submitting AMCAS is May 28th. I have read that you cannot put a future start date on AMCAS, so I am nervous. The research program is through my university and I have been part of the lab this whole semester doing basic training and benchwork to prepare for my individual summer project. I really want to submit my AMCAS on the 1st day, because I am nervous about something going wrong and it not being processed right away for the July 10th application release day. I am also nervous because every year there are more applicants and I want to make sure that I get into that first release day group.

So what do I do?
Do I submit on June 1st and put the start date of my research as June 1st, even though this would be the 5th day?
Do I submit on May 28th and somehow get this research program on the AMCAS a different way? Would it look really bad to fib the start date by a few days? I could try and talk to the committee to start a few days early and make that work.... IDK!

Last edited:

KatsuCurry

2+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2016
USA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Just put it on your secondaries under what you've done since submitting. Is this really going to make or break your app?

Reactions: 1 user
Aug 6, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
That's definitely something I appreciated about AACOMAS, as you can add activities after verification (but cannot edit!)

About the Ads

spottedcory

2+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2018
You don't need to submit first day to be transmitted first day, and applying early doesn't mean being transmitted first day. Check out this graph. Within one week after AMCAS opens should be good for first day of transmission, and being transmitted to schools 2-3 weeks after first day of transmission is still early, especially if you prewrite.

Top tier schools appreciate research, but they also like results, takeaways, and history, which will be hard to have after such short time, so while I think it's worth it to wait a little to include the activity, I don't know if it'll have such a big impact that it's worth making your application later than 3 weeks or so. Also, can't you already include the work itself on your app as part of the lab, and include the summer program as an update?

Last edited:

candbgirl

15+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status (Visible)
You don't need to submit first day to be transmitted first day, and applying early doesn't mean being transmitted first day. Check out this graph. Within one week after AMCAS opens should be good for first day of transmission, and being transmitted to schools 2-3 weeks after first day of transmission is still early, especially if you prewrite.

Top tier schools appreciate research, but they also like results, takeaways, and history, which will be hard to have after such short time, so while I think it's worth it to wait a little to include the activity, I don't know if it'll have such a big impact that it's worth making your application later than 3 weeks or so. Also, can't you already include the work itself on your app as part of the lab, and include the summer program as an update?
This.

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student

Advice on Submitting AMCAS Late​

I am doing a significant summer research program (450+ hours) which I want to include on AMCAS. The program doesn't start until June 1st and I know that the 1st day for submitting AMCAS is May 28th. I have read that you cannot put a future start date on AMCAS, so I am nervous. The research program is through my university and I have been part of the lab this whole semester doing basic training and benchwork to prepare for my individual summer project. I really want to submit my AMCAS on the 1st day, because I am nervous about something going wrong and it not being processed right away for the July 10th application release day. I am also nervous because every year there are more applicants and I want to make sure that I get into that first release day group.

So what do I do?
Do I submit on June 1st and put the start date of my research as June 1st, even though this would be the 5th day?
Do I submit on May 28th and somehow get this research program on the AMCAS a different way? Would it look really bad to fib the start date by a few days? I could try and talk to the committee to start a few days early and make that work.... IDK!
Please, please. please explain to me the title of this thread and the use of the word "late" and your concern the submitting on "the 5th day" is somehow late? Please explain to me the rational basis for this decision other your "fears" something will go wrong and you cant be transmitted on the first day? Please explain what you think will happen if you dont get transmitted for 6-8 weeks later? Please explain to me why you think if you get transmitted on Day 1 that will make your chances any greater than transmitted on Day 45? Is that because you assume first come first served?

People dont get accepted to medical school because their application is first; they get accepted because their application is good. So if you think this summer research program is so important that it add to your application THEN WAIT TO SUBMIT! I would be much more concerned that with this intensive program that you have time to do a good job on secondaries.

• Love
Mar 22, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Cant you just combine this all and list projected hours by august 2022? I don’t think anyone cares about the nitty gritty details regarding hour breakdown anyways especially for something like bench research where people know the flexibility required for it. If anything, will give you substantial info to include for secondary and updates later on. Most important thing will be you being able to articulate what you’ve gotten from the research experiences, eg learn to ask for help when needed, troubleshooting, collaborating with a team, pushing your boundaries, which I assume you’ll be able to talk about if you’ve done research the whole school year already.

And having interviewed at the majority of the top research-heavy institutions, I promise you after a certain point research is overrated for MD only.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.