advice on taking a year off...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nycNerd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide whether or not to take a year off before med school. As of now i feel like I can go straight into med school from undergrad, but lots of people have been telling me that I am going to feel burned out by the time i finish undergrad.

Any advice from med students who have or have not taken a year off would be appreciated. Do you think your decision helped you stay focused? Do you regret it? What did you do with your time off?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to take a year off before med school. As of now i feel like I can go straight into med school from undergrad, but lots of people have been telling me that I am going to feel burned out by the time i finish undergrad.

Any advice from med students who have or have not taken a year off would be appreciated. Do you think your decision helped you stay focused? Do you regret it? What did you do with your time off?

Thanks

I went straight through from undergrad, and I like it this way. But I think the real question is this: If you take a year off, what will you be doing? If it is travelling around the world or backpacking in Europe, then YES take a year off!!!!! If it's sitting at home, living with your parents, working at McDonalds, then no, don't take a year off. I would have been back at home working for my Dad's construction company [which I had to do last summer before starting medical school even though I wanted to relax]. So taking a year off would have sucked for me. If you have something cool to do, by all means do it!

Only take a year off if you need to do something to boost your app and you absolutely must, or like UT said, to do something AWESOME!! My job sucks and I wish I could have gone straight through. I would not have gotten burnt out, but thats something you need to figure out for yourself

Members don't see this ad :)
DO IT. take the year off. but only do it if you will have an ADVENTURE. don't sit around a lab all day for a year....this will not make you grow. it will be the best decision you will ever make. I always knew i wanted to take off a year before med school, but I never knew what i wanted to do (besides vaguely involving traveling). On a whim I applied for a job with the JET program, and I ended up teaching english in Japan for a year, backpacked all around Asia and had the best experience of my life. I am a very different (stronger and more independent) person than I would have been had I just went straight thru from undergrad to medical school. When you live your entire life under the protective bubble of school, there is a whole dimension of life you are missing out on. I'm not saying those of us who went straight thru will be bad doctors or anything, but I think one day when they're 36 and just beginning to practice, and are married with some kids, they will realize that they threw away their last opportunity to have a great adventure. Just my two cents...but i have never met anyone who regretted taking off time.

All I can say is DO IT DO IT, WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU DO IT.

:)

If you take a year off, you could lose a years worth of high income (100,000+). You might get burnt out, but you will get done sooner.

If you take a year off, you could lose a years worth of high income (100,000+). You might get burnt out, but you will get done sooner.

If he doesn't take a year off he might miss out on a year of doing things he'll never have the chance to do again. I wouldn't trade my year off for a few years of income.

If you're even considering taking a year off, then you definitely should do it! I'm an M2, and every second of this year I have been thankful that I did something other than med school for a year before getting into this mess. It's great to go from undergrad to med school as well, and that works for a lot of people. But, if you're feeling like you would like to do something different for a change, it's definitely worth it!

I think it is a personal choice i know many people who went staright into med school from undergrad and were fine and some who got burned out. I took a year off before i started even though i was ready to apply during undergrad. I was really glad i did it not only did i get some extra cash and squeeze in some travelling but i confirmed that i didn't want to do research the rest of my life . I also was more than ready to go back to school. I know what i am missing out in the real world and it really doesn't bother me. So to each his own but i think it is a worthwhile experience if you are considering it.