Jan 24, 2013
Status
Dental Student
Hey everyone,

I have had 4 school invites so far and just received one from Tufts, today. However, after looking again at how expensive Tufts is, I am unsure whether or not I should RSVP for the interview. Tufts' approximations of costs are more than double (in some cases) some of the other places I have interviewed at. And the flight, hotel and rental car to get there (I'm in Texas) would cost me $300-400. Even if I got in, I am not sure I would pick it, just b/c of the massive price tag.

Thus, my question is: Do you think I should risk not RSVPing and just hope I get into one of the other 4?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: SXCoronado
Jan 10, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey everyone,

I have had 4 school invites so far and just received one from Tufts, today. However, after looking again at how expensive Tufts is, I am unsure whether or not I should RSVP for the interview. Tufts' approximations of costs are more than double (in some cases) some of the other places I have interviewed at. And the flight, hotel and rental car to get there (I'm in Texas) would cost me $300-400. Even if I got in, I am not sure I would pick it, just b/c of the massive price tag.

Thus, my question is: Do you think I should risk not RSVPing and just hope I get into one of the other 4?

Thanks in advance!
No. Go to your interview. What if you don't get accepted to the other schools. ? Is better to go , and be able to reject their admissions offer in December , than to chance it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Brosephbro
Jan 24, 2013
Status
Dental Student
can you postpone after dec 1?
No. They said I have 2 days to respond to the email and I have 3 choices of dates. If I don't respond in time or cannot make those dates, I am automatically out of candidacy.

Feb 22, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
Did you hear back from Texas? I dunno if I would ever want to go to Tufts though. With $400,000 in debt and with 6.8% loan interest rate, it will become $550,000 if you do a 10 year payment plan. This means that you have to put out $4,603 per month. Dentists start out with $120,000 as a gross income, but with tax they make about $87,000 because of federal tax (~$24,000) and social security ($9,000). With that being said, you will be able to take home $7256 a month if you do not have loans. Unfortunately, you have a HUGE chunk of loans making you bring home only $7256 - $4603 = $2653 a month. If you multiply that by 12, you will be making a GRAND TOTAL of $31836 annually.

That is just my two cents

2THDDS

2+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
nice math. hope it's accurate
Did you hear back from Texas? I dunno if I would ever want to go to Tufts though. With $400,000 in debt and with 6.8% loan interest rate, it will become $550,000 if you do a 10 year payment plan. This means that you have to put out $4,603 per month. Dentists start out with $120,000 as a gross income, but with tax they make about $87,000 because of federal tax (~$24,000) and social security ($9,000). With that being said, you will be able to take home $7256 a month if you do not have loans. Unfortunately, you have a HUGE chunk of loans making you bring home only $7256 - $4603 = $2653 a month. If you multiply that by 12, you will be making a GRAND TOTAL of $31836 annually.

2THDDS

2+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
nice math. hope it's accurate

2THDDS

2+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
duplicate post.

Jan 10, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
So I went to my NYU Interview and I was baffled with the school. It was absolutely amazing. But the price tag is so hefty. I would still go though. I wouldn't wait for my state school to accept me. I think it would look bad if u get accepted somewhere , and u don't end up going there cuz of the price.

Weakfart

5+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2014
Buffalo
Status
Pre-Dental
So I went to my NYU Interview and I was baffled with the school. It was absolutely amazing. But the price tag is so hefty. I would still go though. I wouldn't wait for my state school to accept me. I think it would look bad if u get accepted somewhere , and u don't end up going there cuz of the price.

I dunno man, if that was the only school I got into I think I would reapply. If that was the only school I got into after a reapp then I'd take it.

LaughingGas

7+ Year Member
May 17, 2010
Status
Dental Student, Dentist
Go to the interview. Cheaper than reapplying and the stress of reapplying is not worth it.

cacajuate

5+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2012
Status
I would wait for Texas schools. Reapply if you dont get in this year.

$250k difference in debt is worth a year waiting.

Reactions: AlyssaRof2012

fellowstudent92

5+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Go to the interview. Cheaper than reapplying and the stress of reapplying is not worth it.
Ugh no. Stress of reapplying? How would that be stressful? You would already have a solid work-in-progress personal statement, your recommendation letters would be the same, grades wouldn't change, you can reuse supplemental essays from the first time, and you can work to KILL that DAT in that second year, which really shouldn't be that hard assuming you prepped decently your first time.

LaughingGas

7+ Year Member
May 17, 2010
Status
Dental Student, Dentist
Stress of reapplying? How would that be stressful? You would already have a solid work-in-progress personal statement (new PS), your recommendation letters would be the same (you need at least 1 new letter), grades wouldn't change, you can reuse supplemental essays from the first time (uhh, no), and you can work to KILL that DAT in that second year (you got some balls), which really shouldn't be that hard assuming you prepped decently your first time.

y3nd0

Kitteh likes to stare
5+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2012
Status
Dental Student
Ugh no. Stress of reapplying? How would that be stressful? You would already have a solid work-in-progress personal statement, your recommendation letters would be the same, grades wouldn't change, you can reuse supplemental essays from the first time, and you can work to KILL that DAT in that second year, which really shouldn't be that hard assuming you prepped decently your first time.
Being a reapplicant can have its disadvantages (schools would look at you and ask why is this person reapplying). And applying is very stressful - you never know if you're going to get invited for an interview or get accepted. Constantly checking your emails every morning to see if you get an invite, telling yourself you won't go on SDN but you go on anyway to see if any other applicants received interviews. Waiting for December again after you're done with interviewing. There is some luck and randomness to the entire process, and you can never guarantee yourself you'll get in. It's definitely not something I personally would want to go through again.

To the OP, I would go on the interview. It's $300, a drop in the bucket in terms of your overall dental education. If Texas doesn't take you, and you happen to get accepted to Tufts, you can make your decision then.

Reactions: LaughingGas

fellowstudent92

5+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Stress of reapplying? How would that be stressful? You would already have a solid work-in-progress personal statement (new PS), your recommendation letters would be the same (you need at least 1 new letter), grades wouldn't change, you can reuse supplemental essays from the first time (uhh, no), and you can work to KILL that DAT in that second year (you got some balls), which really shouldn't be that hard assuming you prepped decently your first time.
Why do you need a new PS? what lol I didn't know this...yea the new letter would be a hassle. Why can't u reuse sup essays? It's not like the schools would have a past record of your old ones right? And it's hardly ever the case that your sup essays break your application but killing that DAT would have better chances to make the application for sure the second time. I guess it would be stressful then lol

OP
Brosephbro
Jan 24, 2013
Status
Dental Student

Well my question then is: How the hell do people even go to Tufts? Is the majority of their class just wealthy as hell? Or am I missing something?

fellowstudent92

5+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
military scholarships or filthy rich. If you don't fall into those two categories, you're probably doing it wrong in my opinion at least.

cacajuate

5+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2012
Status
Well my question then is: How the hell do people even go to Tufts? Is the majority of their class just wealthy as hell? Or am I missing something?
Because they think that they will be rich by becoming a dentist and it will be no problem to pay back. I'm sure if babyshades broke the numbers down, those people would rethink their decision

Last edited:

shulk

7+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Not everyone will pick the '10 year repayment' plan when they graduate, opting for those with a lower monthly payment even if it means extending the life and total amount paid on the loan.

Also TC what if you don't get into the texas schools this year? What makes you think you would have a better chance next year? The applicant pool is getting more competitive each year. I can't think of anyone who turned down an acceptance at any school so they could reapply to cheaper schools, which sounds like lunacy to me.

studentdent110

5+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2012
United States
Status
Pre-Dental
I feel like by attending a school that expensive, you must make it a goal to specialize because then you're more likely to have a higher income. Idk, the price tags are definitely scary... whether or not it's worth it is up to you.

LaughingGas

7+ Year Member
May 17, 2010
Status
Dental Student, Dentist
Don't get me wrong. Tufts it is very expensive. We prefer continue our paths of becoming a dentist, rather than stress about application and be stuck as a predental student. Debt is very scary, but many of us chose to move on with our lives.

cacajuate

5+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2012
Status
Don't get me wrong. Tufts it is very expensive. We prefer continue our paths of becoming a dentist, rather than stress about application and be stuck as a predental student. Debt is very scary, but many of us chose to move on with our lives.
Stress about application? Wait till the stress of paying back $450k for 15 years.

Daneosaurus

D4
7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2012
Status
Dental Student
Do not apply to schools you would not go to due to sticker price. It's a stupid waste of money.

Why would one go to undergrad for four years, making excellent grades in some pretty tough courses, study their ass off for the DAT, shell out all this money for applications, pay a ton of money to go on interviews, be one of the <45% who get accepted (among a sea of well-qualified applicants) only to say "nope. I'll go through all this again next year." Personally, I would go to any school that accepts me (including NYU, and I have a family of 4 to feed). You're a ridiculous individual if you would do otherwise.

Edit: To any NYU adcom who reads this, I DO want to go to your school! My point was that NYU is an expensive school in an expensive city, but I would gladly go there.

OP
Brosephbro
Jan 24, 2013
Status
Dental Student
Do not apply to schools you would not go to due to sticker price. It's a stupid waste of money.

Why would one go to undergrad for four years, making excellent grades in some pretty tough courses, study their ass off for the DAT, shell out all this money for applications, pay a ton of money to go on interviews, be one of the <45% who get accepted (among a sea of well-qualified applicants) only to say "nope. I'll go through all this again next year." Personally, I would go to any school that accepts me (including NYU, and I have a family of 4 to feed). You're a ridiculous individual if you would do otherwise.

Edit: To any NYU adcom who reads this, I DO want to go to your school! My point was that NYU is an expensive school in an expensive city, but I would gladly go there.
Well, I applied there because I didn't expect to get as many interviews as I did. I would go there if it was my only option, but now I have more possible options than I could've anticipated. Thanks for your input, though!

Glimmer1991

5+ Year Member
May 5, 2012
NC
Status
Dental Student
Have you gone to the other interviews yet? How did you feel about them?

Pick the latest interview date that they offer you. If you go to your other interviews and feel confident, then cancel the Tufts interview.

Silent Cool

Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2005
Status

Not to mention the fact that many associates do not get benefits. So, if you make 120K and then deduct 25K for insurance/retirement, then you are left with about 50K. You wouldn't even have enough to live on. So, it would be impossible to pay it back in 10 years. You would probably have to stretch it to 20 years.