Advice on the fields Nurse Praticioner (NP) Vs Physician Assistant (PA).

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
These NP vs PA discussions always amaze me. The NP route is almost always justified by seeing ones own patients. Med school isn't even mentioned. So thankful for laws in place to protect patients in areas where "providers" aren't needed.

Members don't see this ad.

These NP vs PA discussions always amaze me. The NP route is almost always justified by seeing ones own patients. Med school isn't even mentioned. So thankful for laws in place to protect patients in areas where "providers" aren't needed.

Meh.... Troll.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's really great for med students like sansastarkMD to get excited about healthcare topics. It shows we have young folks engaged and reading up on the field that they are about to enter.

My back on topic comment would be... PA because reasons that are too sensitive to discuss around here. PM if you're concerned and want some reliable, non biased info. I'm not in either field and have lots of clinical experience.. I think 6 DNP's worth. This is excluding my time studying of course.

My back on topic comment would be... PA because reasons that are too sensitive to discuss around here. PM if you're concerned and want some reliable, non biased info. I'm not in either field and have lots of clinical experience.. I think 6 DNP's worth. This is excluding my time studying of course.

For all means post your unbiased nation wide RCTs that prove your point beyond question. Don't keep us all in suspense. Also, maybe you got your DNP at a not very reputable school.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)

Translation:

You don't know much about either of these things, but that makes you a reservoir of non-biased information that the OP should consider when planning out important aspects of his life. Additionally, you haven't landed your residency yet, but consider your own advice "reliable".

The fact that, in spite of those things, you don't see a problem with your approach should give everyone pause.... especially you. And that's consistent with what many of the physicians have said to you on SDN when you've queried on a variety of topics. You are ahead of yourself on so many issues, and this is just one more. It demonstrates moxy, just not very useful.

26 years old having almost completed 4 years of medical school, and probably 4 years of undergrad (maybe 3, because I'll go ahead and assume you are a good student and believe your own hype because of that). Rich life experiences and some medical mission trips overseas, and then deep clinical experience you've racked up along with way between graduating high school and now? When have you had time to do that? The math adds up to you going straight through from high school through undergrad through med school to your current applications for residency.

The OP should definitely PM you to get your read on the situation.

Italianlifter.... I think you have reasonable information in front of you. If you decide to go the route of nursing to become an NP, its a good idea to plan to work to make up for deficiencies in NP education. The NPs I've met that fit into the category that a lot of the PA's and physicians on here are concerned about are generally those that were overconfident. Humility is a healthy for everyone.

Last edited:
And look, I'm not trying to be rude sansastarkMD, but clearly you are with every post you make on here. You take a more respectful tone among the physicians, and seem to feel ok casting that aside here among those of us you see as plebes. But it gets old around everyone you chat amongst, and we can see it for what it is. Most of us folks you concern troll are consummate professionals who are actually out there saving lives and making an impact.

I also like physician assistants just in general, very cool people that knew what they were getting into. Some of the nurses I've asked to chaperone during an exam have said, "I'm a nurse practitioner! Find a nurse." I don't care if you're the president. A patient needs help. I went and got an attending physician instead.

I also like physician assistants just in general, very cool people that knew what they were getting into. Some of the nurses I've asked to chaperone during an exam have said, "I'm a nurse practitioner! Find a nurse." I don't care if you're the president. A patient needs help. I went and got an attending physician instead.

Lets explore your philosophy on putting the patient first since you mentioned that NPs seem to value themselves over the best interests of their charges. This is easily pieced together from your posts on SDN:

Your goal is to work in a family practice clinic 2 and a half days a week, but not take any call for "your patients". You also want to become qualified to perform c-sections, but stated that you only want to dabble in it so that when you travel internationally, you can perform them on "your patients". But you don't want to put in more than the minimum for "your patients" here due to hassles associated with regs. You also want to then go find the highest bidder among rural facilities and work a 24 hour ER solo shift per week....as a resident, while depending on the notion that among the highest bidders, there will be one that allows you to sleep there for at least 4 hours while you work your 24. You expect to be paid $400,000 per year to live out your plan. I'm sure "your patients" in all these scenarios will fare well, along with your colleagues and the staff who have to deal with your drive to spread yourself out thin for reasons that validate only you.

You clearly haven't spent much time in the trenches doing actual work, or you'd know how unrealistic your expectations are. One physician mentioned that you haven't even factored in meetings and time spent in documentation and charting. That's basic, and you never considered it. You would have if you had much hands on time.

And maybe since you are so new, you didn't realize that it's not always the best use of time to find a provider to chaperone, when you could use just about any female (or male depending on the scenario) working on the unit to help you. The whole "you are terrible because you didn't accomodate me while I felt I put my patient first" line of thinking doesn't reflect the fact that sometimes folks have to wait a couple minutes while we get things ready to do the job. Happens all the time. Sounds like maybe you were projecting your own timeline expectations above someone else's.

Everything you say... every anecdote carries your lame bite...." I like PAs because they knew what they were getting into..."

.... and on, and on, and on....

Lol.... "I went and got an attending physician instead"....

And probably walked by 3 ER techs that could have helped you. But you probably wanted to go get the attending to make a point, right? In a busy ER, wouldn't the attending's time also be better spent seeing patients than chaperoning you? Strike two for sansastarkFUTURERESIDENT.

I've clearly hurt some feelings, and for that, I apologize. That was not my intention. While I do not feel the need to defend my eventual ability to practice medicine, some of you absolutely will, hence the advice. Best of luck with your decisions thus far.

"Medicine is not a job. Medicine is a divine calling for the chosen ones. Never stop worshipping the patient. Take at least q3 call for the patient is sacred. The patient is holy."

I've clearly hurt some feelings, and for that, I apologize. That was not my intention. While I do not feel the need to defend my eventual ability to practice medicine, some of you absolutely will, hence the advice. Best of luck with your decisions thus far.

"Medicine is not a job. Medicine is a divine calling for the chosen ones. Never stop worshipping the patient. Take at least q3 call for the patient is sacred. The patient is holy."

I'd feel much better knowing you were purposefully trolling as a unhealthy coping response to the rigors of medical school than knowing there's yet another future physician out there with interpersonal skills so poor that they don't even know when they are being offensive.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.