Advice on Updates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UncertainUgrad

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in my gap year and in the application process this cycle. I'm wondering if it is okay to send an update to schools pre-/post-II (given they are receptive) about my current gap year activities. My update would be for schools that did not ask about gap year in their secondaries. Even though it may not be considered "significant" (in the sense of publications), I do believe that my current activities address the weakness of my app and would thus be worthy of an update. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you come across as unprofessional, it will never hurt. Only in certain circumstances will it help, however.

I recently sent a gap year update to a receptive school pre-II even though what I had might not have been considered significant. I debated for a while about whether or not I should but like Wedge says... prob won't help but I didn't think it would hurt either. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent updates to 4 schools at the end of October talking about my gap year research (no pubs) and volunteering. Received 2 II within 2 months from the 4 schools

I'm in my gap year and in the application process this cycle. I'm wondering if it is okay to send an update to schools pre-/post-II (given they are receptive) about my current gap year activities. My update would be for schools that did not ask about gap year in their secondaries. Even though it may not be considered "significant" (in the sense of publications), I do believe that my current activities address the weakness of my app and would thus be worthy of an update. Thoughts?
Go for it.

I don't see why not. I've sent 4 updates though and still in silence from those schools.

I sent updates to every school I haven't heard from, except for the two that clearly stated on their websites that they didn't accept pre-II updates. In response, two of the schools I updated wrote back saying they couldn't accept updates from applicants only directly from AMCAS (Colorado and Utah so no one else makes the same mistake). Of the remainder, only two schools acknowledged that they received the updates and they have been added to my file. No II from anybody I updated so far (first update sent out < month ago though).