Advice on what classes to take/drop.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pinkman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

I'm making the final tweaks to my upcoming spring schedule and wanted some input. I'm in my senior year, graduating this summer (possibly fall 2016) and finishing up the rest of my premed classes via post-bacc.

In Fall 2014, I took A&P 1 and did well in it. Now, that's not a requirement for any schools I'm looking to apply to. I have A&P 2 set up for this upcoming semester just to finish it out and can't decide if I should keep it on my schedule or not. I still have almost all my prereqs to do and feel like those would be better suited in my schedule. Will it look bad to med schools if I don't finish out the A&P sequence? I feel like maybe I'm overthinking this but I just want to make the best use of my time here.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't imagine med schools caring at all that you took A&P I and not II. I would take a prereq instead, if you can! You can save yourself some money that way. :)

I can't imagine med schools caring at all that you took A&P I and not II. I would take a prereq instead, if you can! You can save yourself some money that way. :)

You think so? I'm starting to think the same thing. Save some money and get done with my prereqs quicker, haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
It won't look bad if you don't finish it IMO, but it would definitely be in your best interest to finish it. Take as many med school classes in undergrad as you can (A&P, Biochem, upper level bio, etc...) - you'll be putting in extra work now but I promise you will be so happy you did.

It won't look bad if you don't finish it IMO, but it would definitely be in your best interest to finish it. Take as many med school classes in undergrad as you can (A&P, Biochem, upper level bio, etc...) - you'll be putting in extra work now but I promise you will be so happy you did.

That's where my conflict comes in. I feel like it may benefit me to take it but, at the same time, I just wanna finish my prereqs. I'm definitely taking biochem and upper level bio though, for sure.

That's where my conflict comes in. I feel like it may benefit me to take it but, at the same time, I just wanna finish my prereqs. I'm definitely taking biochem and upper level bio though, for sure.
Look at your schedule long-term. If taking this course will postpone graduation, don't take it. If not, I would take it now while it's fresh on your mind and finish all your pre-reqs later. If you're already taking biochem and upper level bio courses I'm not sure what pre-reqs you're missing other than math.. Perhaps they've changed the reqs since I joined.

*Edit* Ah humanities.. Those are a breeze - will be nice to save the majority of those for the end of your college career so you can relax. On the other hand, saving some of the upper level science courses for the end will allow that information to be fresh on your mind.

If the parts of the sequence are independent of each other (i.e., you don't have to wait until after you complete the both parts before you get a grade), then you should be fine. Take a prereq. That's probably more important.

Also, I don't really think an extra semester of A&P is going give you THAT much of a leg up in med school, anyway. It's certainly not a bad course to take for background but I would prioritize prereqs. Which of the prereqs have you taken so far? I found it helpful to have taken orgo I before biochem but maybe that's just me.

Also, I don't really think an extra semester of A&P is going give you THAT much of a leg up in med school, anyway. It's certainly not a bad course to take for background but I would prioritize prereqs. Which of the prereqs have you taken so far? I found it helpful to have taken orgo I before biochem but maybe that's just me.

Genchem 2, Bio 2, Physics 2, Orgo 1&2, and Biochem. I believe I'll be taking orgo 1 before biochem so that's good to hear!

Genchem 2, Bio 2, Physics 2, Orgo 1&2, and Biochem. I believe I'll be taking orgo 1 before biochem so that's good to hear!
I'd save Biochem for junior/senior year if possible. There's LOTS of biochem in med school so you'll want it fresh on your mind.

I'd save Biochem for junior/senior year if possible. There's LOTS of biochem in med school so you'll want it fresh on your mind.

Definitely. It'll be one of my last classes of my post-bacc, especially since I want it fresh in my mind for both the MCAT and med school. Thanks for the advice!