Advice on what I should do: apply, post bacc, masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HBares

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am seeking advice on what to do: either take DAT and apply right away, pursue post bacc program, or pursue masters.

My background:
(1) Biotechnology bachelors of science from a Cal State university
(2) Currently three years out of college working in Public Health as an Environmentalist specializing in safe drinking water
(3) Low overall GPA 3.03 due to short change in major to engineering and received C’s in engineering mathematics courses. They were tough and I was not prepared. I didn’t know what I wanted to do while in college and worried about finding a job so I switched to engineering for about a year and then switched back to biotech and graduated shortly thereafter.
(4) BCP GPA ~3.5. I’ve taken advanced genetics, organic chem, physics, virology, parasitology, human anatomy and physiology and received all A’s.
(5) 400+ hours volunteer work
(6) 600+ hours shadowing GP dentist
(7) I can obtain a great LOR from dentist, employers, and possibly professors if they can remember me

I think I can get a decent score on DAT if I study well but will my stats along with an awesome DAT (thinking over 20 at least, 22 or 23) increase my chances? Should I pursue a post bacc or masters? I’m thinking environmental engineering masters. It’s more science based and my current career is in that direction. If I go this route, I would want to continue to pursue dental school after my masters and would use my engineering graduate degree to fall back on. But it would set me back by two years so I would be over 35 once I finished masters + dental school, which is something for me to think about too.

Thank you so much in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If your BCP/SGPA is around a 3.5 and you get a 20+ on the DAT, a post bacc would not be necessary imo.

Reactions: 1 users
If your BCP/SGPA is around a 3.5 and you get a 20+ on the DAT, a post bacc would not be necessary imo.

That is so encouraging to me!

What do you think about my poor math courses? That will bring down my science gpa.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would find the ADEA course subject list, that pretty much list all the courses that will count towards your sgpa, and find out what your sgpa will be. If it is closer to your cGPA (~3.0) then maybe a post bacc would be necessary. BUT if your sGPA is still 3.3+ and you can do well on the DAT (21+) then I still think you would be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
I would passively take post bacc classes while aiming for a 22 focusing on getting a 22 on DAT

Reactions: 1 users
A 1 year MA in Public health would make you grossly more competitive

Reactions: 1 user