Dec 16, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys long time lurker here,

Well I'm freaking out right now and I don't know what to do. I'm currently holding an acceptance to a school and one of the terms of acceptance was to make A's and B's my last year of undergrad. I just got completely blindsided by a class where I ended up making a C, due to an bad grade on a final essay that I thought I wrote really well. I did not expect this at all and now I'm freaking out. I hate how it came down to an essay and I pride myself in being a good essay writer I don't know what to do.

Should I contact the admissions office to let them know what has happened? I don't want to keep this all in and keep wondering what's going to happen I'm just really stressed out right now.

Thanks!

Pacna

Dyslexics, untie!
Jun 2, 2013
MN
Status
Medical Student
1) Talk to your professor and explain the situation. Try to argue for a B. Don't give me any s*** about him/her not being the kind of person to give leeway. That's an excuse and you know it. Do this.
2) Call the school and explain yourself only AFTER 1) has been pursued.

Nov 8, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
I'd just call the office up and talk to them about it. Maybe you could re-take the class over the summer before matriculating to meet the terms?

V5RED

MS-1
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2011
Status
Medical Student
1) Talk to your professor and explain the situation. Try to argue for a B. Don't give me any s*** about him/her not being the kind of person to give leeway. That's an excuse and you know it. Do this.
Usually I would call this strategy some sort of bad name, but in this circumstance, this is the best choice. The point of undergrad was to get you into a career, and hopefully this professor will understand that in this particular case it is worth it to make an exception to a grade. This, of course, assumes you actually did all your coursework throughout the semester and the only reason for the C was a bad grade on the paper, not that you gave half effort and hoped the paper would carry you.

OP
T
Dec 16, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I've emailed the professor already we'll see how it goes. It's just frustrating because I did excellent in every single other class this semester and I've never gotten a C before as well. I don't like to make excuses for grades, but I honestly feel like I did not write an essay that netted such a low grade. :(

I'd just call the office up and talk to them about it. Maybe you could re-take the class over the summer before matriculating to meet the terms?
This class isn't even required for med school, it's just for my major. Don't know how helpful that would be.

OP
T
Dec 16, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Usually I would call this strategy some sort of bad name, but in this circumstance, this is the best choice. The point of undergrad was to get you into a career, and hopefully this professor will understand that in this particular case it is worth it to make an exception to a grade. This, of course, assumes you actually did all your coursework throughout the semester and the only reason for the C was a bad grade on the paper, not that you gave half effort and hoped the paper would carry you.
I did well on the all of the other assignments. My grade was well (mid to high B) before the paper.

Pacna

Dyslexics, untie!
Jun 2, 2013
MN
Status
Medical Student
I did well on the all of the other assignments. My grade was well (mid to high B) before the paper.
I don't think that anyone is going to bar you from medical school because of a 10% difference in a grade in an English class.

Reactions: Euxox

No Limits

I was told there'd be Cookies
Nov 3, 2013
Schrödinger's Box
Status
Medical Student
I've emailed the professor already we'll see how it goes.
This is an unfortunate situation. I agree with the advice above however I will add some things are better done in person. To my knowledge professors are not "legally" allowed to discuss grades through email (at least at my school). You may want to sit down with your professor during office hours and explain the situation.

Reactions: Rik1111

Pacna

Dyslexics, untie!
Jun 2, 2013
MN
Status
Medical Student
This is an unfortunate situation. I agree with the advice above however I will add some things are better done in person. To my knowledge professors are not "legally" allowed to discuss grades through email (at least at my school). You may want to sit down with your professor during office hours and explain the situation.
Great point. Professors are so inundated with emails for better grades that they usually just ignore them all.

@OP: I think your situation is compelling, and I think that may be lost in an email.

darklabel

PGWhy
7+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I agree, it depends on what kind of school you go to. If this is a state school and a large class, I promise you that you won't get a response since 10+ others are the same as you. Even if the class is small, when it comes to grades teachers have a knack for ignoring the emails completely. Going in person is your best bet and it doesn't matter if you have to fly over back just to talk to him.

I wouldn't talk to the medical school unless you're absolutely sure that the grade won't change. Sucks that this happened OP.

OP
T
Dec 16, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for the rest of the replies guys. For now I hope to get a response from my professor either by email or in person. After doing neurotic calculations, my cGPA should only drop by about 0.02 points, similarly for the cGPA. I forgot to add that the acceptance doesn't explicitly say getting a C would rescind my offer, but it does says that A's and B's should be maintained that why it's bothering me. If my grade doesn't get changed, should I call the school anonymously or with my own information?

Euxox

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If my grade doesn't get changed, should I call the school anonymously or with my own information?
If you don't end up getting the grade changed, I don't see the point in trying to stay anonymous. Your med school will know that you got the C sooner or later.

I wouldn't worry too much. One C is unlikely to result in your acceptance being rescinded. (A D or an F would probably be a different story.) I'm guessing that they will have you write a short letter explaining why you got a bad grade and what you learned from it. (That's the policy at some of the schools I've been accepted to -- they won't reevaluate your application as long as you get Cs and above, but Cs require written explanation.) Just make sure that you keep your grades up to par next semester.

Aug 8, 2013
Michigan
Status
Medical Student
Ditto on going to the professor in person. Offer to write a second (better) essay for extra credit that you will submit by whenever he/she wants. See if you can pull it up to a B-, that will probably be fine. See if you can get your C changed to an incomplete until you get this extra credit thing figured out - approach your professor with the idea of giving you an incomplete until he/she can evaluate your extra work.

Also, can you still drop the class? At some schools it's possible to drop the class until the transcripts come out for the semester and take a W.

Reactions: DokterMom
OP
T
Dec 16, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Ditto on going to the professor in person. Offer to write a second (better) essay for extra credit that you will submit by whenever he/she wants. See if you can pull it up to a B-, that will probably be fine. See if you can get your C changed to an incomplete until you get this extra credit thing figured out - approach your professor with the idea of giving you an incomplete until he/she can evaluate your extra work.

Also, can you still drop the class? At some schools it's possible to drop the class until the transcripts come out for the semester and take a W.
Nope not anymore. Last day to drop was the last week of school, but I never anticipated doing it as I expected to do good in the class :/.

Dral

10+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2009
Dermatomicroscope
Status
Attending Physician
Remember the proper uses of well and good. Did you get someone to proofread your essay? Maybe that will help for next time. Honest advice...I'm not trying to be a jerk.

DokterMom

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2013
Status
Non-Student
This, definitely. It's one thing to 'grade-grub' -- but offering to rewrite to improve your paper demonstrates commitment and mitigates the 'whine factor'.