Advice on what to do next

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leggo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just have a quick question. Currently, I am in a Masters program (hard science). I've read here that some med schools may not consider my grad courses as much as my undergrad courses. I have a around a undergrad 3.1 GPA right now. I have 2 semesters left of my current program. Do you think a better option would be to transfer and do a post-bacc/SMP or take some more undergrad courses, or finish the Masters I'm currently in and then apply to med schools/SMP/take more undergrad courses etc.. Would it look really bad if i transferred? I hope to apply next cycle, but i have to re-evaluate my chances then. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I just have a quick question. Currently, I am in a Masters program (hard science). I've read here that some med schools may not consider my grad courses as much as my undergrad courses. I have a around a undergrad 3.1 GPA right now. I have 2 semesters left of my current program. Do you think a better option would be to transfer and do a post-bacc/SMP or take some more undergrad courses, or finish the Masters I'm currently in and then apply to med schools/SMP/take more undergrad courses etc.. Would it look really bad if i transferred? I hope to apply next cycle, but i have to re-evaluate my chances then. Thanks!
Dropping out of a masters program doesn't look good. Besides, it's a good avenue to research and teaching experiences that strengthen your application. Further, SMPs are competitive, and will need to see some evidence that you can produce a strong performance in the sciences so they'll give you a chance. This is your shot at doing that.

Also be aware, that classes taken now that are not a requirement for the masters degree, will be considered "postbac" by AMCAS, and would be included in your undergrad GPA. So you have an opportunity to improve your undergrad GPA and uBCPM now.

And finally, a few med schools do consider a masters BCPM GPA in hard sciences. But as grad grades are widely assumed to be inflated, it will not serve you well to get less than As.

Ah, thanks Catalystic. Yea, since I'm almost done anyways, I might as well finish the program. About the "side" courses you mentioned, I have taken a few of those, but they were'nt any upper level besides maybe one or two. I would like to do that now, but it seems alot of those classes are full. Does it seem bad to take a few 100 or 200 level courses now in the sciences, or does that seem like im just try to fluff up my grades? Also, I've taken a few upper level science classes that were undergrad classes but were counted toward the masters, so they werent really grade inflated. You think that will matter to med schools and SMP. And finally, what doe you think I should shoot for, GPA wise and MCAT, for a SMP? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
For SMP, usually they want to see a cGPA > 3.0, BCPM with a strong recent upward grade trend (meaning lots of As), and MCAT score of 30+. This is not my area of expertise, however, and you'd be better off researching this in the Postbac Programs Forum.

Taking 100 level courses might look odd, but I'm sure there are many 200 level classes that would actually be interesting as well as helpful, like microbiology, astronomy, statisitics, and maybe genetics, cell bio, anatomy, physiology. Well ,every school numbers them by their own system, and yours may not be the same as mine.

Hey Catalystik,

I know previously you told me that undergrad courses counted toward the masters may fall under Graduate status. I emailed AMCAS a few times though, and they told me to list it as post-bacc, and they would change it if need be. Pg 38 of the AMCAS manual goes over this, but it seems a bit conflicting to me. Do you have any personal experience with this?

Thanks again!!

If you are referring to post #2 above, I actually said the converse, that classes taken while in a masters program, like an undergrad class, that is not counted toward/required for the masters, would be considered postbac when applying through AMCAS (and would count toward the undergrad GPA when calculated in) Is that what you meant to ask about? If so, you should certainly list it as "Postbac." It is unlikely to be challenged by AMCAS.

Not quite, I def understand that part. AMCAS told me that all undergraduate work done after a Bachelor's degree, even when enrolled in a graduate program, should be listed as PB. I don't really mind waiting until I'm verified when I apply, but I would like to take a few more undergrad courses next year and in the summer, so I would like to know if the undergrad courses taken for credit towards the masters would count as PB. I got great help before here about it, and people just told me to list it if it helps my undergrad GPA.

Yea, apparently mine allows you to take a few courses that were undergrad as long as they were 300/400 level. The courses would be listed as undergraduate courses, but they would be marked as being used for the graduate degree. So technically, the courses are undergraduate.

They just mark it with a letter that signifies its for masters credit. I'm actually not 100% sure on what the letter is haha, but thats what my pre-med committee said. For grad classes, there not marked with anything, but have the course number 500+, which I guess shows its a graduate class.

Maybe they mark it, but it isn't clear to others reading it what the mark means. Until you order a copy for yourself, you won't know how obvious it is.

Meanwhile, since it's in your best interests for the undergrad classes to be considered "postbac" and because the AMCAS representative told you to mark it "postbac," I'd plan to do it that way. I realize that the issue here is that until you are verified, you won't know if the person verifiying the transcripts will follow the same policy as the person on the phone, so your final GPA might be a surprise.

haha, yes thats what I'm mainly afraid of. But your advice is def the way to go. I'll just list it as PB, and see how the GPA turns out. I may still take a few undergrad courses just in case, but I prob won't take as much as I originally planned. Here's hoping those courses count as PB.